BSF Study Questions Acts Lesson 1, Day 2: Acts 1:1-4; Luke 24:25-27, 36-53

Summary of passage:  Acts 1:1-4:  Luke (the writer of Acts) tells Theophilus that he previously wrote (in the book of Luke) about Jesus’s actions and teachings up to the day he ascended to Heaven after instructing the apostles through the Holy Spirit.  Jesus gave proofs to the apostles that he was alive after he had been crucified and Jesus continued to appear before them for 40 days, speaking about God’s kingdom.  On one occasion, Jesus instructed the apostles to not leave Jerusalem until they received the gift God has promised.

Luke 24:25-27:  Jesus, speaking to two men he had joined on the road to Emmaus, admonishes them for not believing the prophets when they spoke of Jesus’s death.  Jesus then explains the scriptures (the OT) to them concerning himself (basically, how his life, death, and resurrection crowned centuries of God’s work).

Luke 24:36-53:  Jesus appears before the disciples in Jerusalem. The apostles are frightened and Jesus asks why they don’t believe it’s him.  “Look at my hands and my feet.  It is I…” and Jesus showed his hands and feet where he had been pierced on the cross.  He ate with them and reiterated how every prophecy must be fulfilled from the Old Testament.  Then Jesus opened their minds so they could understand how he must suffer, die, and rise again; forgiveness of sins will be preached.  But first, Jesus will send them what God has promised so they must remain in Jerusalem until they have been clothed with power from on high.

Jesus led them to Bethany where he blessed the disciples and arose into Heaven.  The disciples worshipped him and returned to Jerusalem where they remained, praising God at His temple.

3a)  Verse 2: He gave instructions through the Holy Spirit.  Verse 3:  He appeared to them over a period of 40 days and spoke about the Kingdom of God.  Verse 27 & 45:  He explained the Scriptures to them.  Verse 50:  He bless them and Verse 49 said wait to leave Jerusalem until clothed with power from on high

b)  The Bible gives us instructions on how to live.  God “speaks” to us and we receive the Holy Spirit when we accept Jesus in our hearts.

c)  Personal Question.  My answer:  When we accept Jesus we endeavor to become more like Him.  He lives within us and we are therefore better people.  I read God’s word and Jesus’s words and teachings and try to incorporate them as much into my life as possible.

4)  The huge, heavy stone was rolled away and Jesus’s body was missing.  Jesus appears to 2 of his followers on the road to Emmaus, explaining the Scripture to them and eating dinner with them.  He appears to Simon and to his disciples and commissions them.  Jesus appears to his disciples twice in 2 weeks, the second time with Thomas present.  Then Jesus appears a third time by the Sea of Tiberias to his disciples and multiplies their catch.  He eats with them again.

5)  To demonstrate to His followers He truly was alive and to teach His disciples and prepare them for sharing the Good News. To give them the power of the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:49; Acts 2:1-4).

Conclusions:  What I learned?  Details I hadn’t really taken to heart:  Jesus stayed 40 days with his disciples after his resurrection.  How significant the number 40 was:  Moses was on the Mount for 40 days to receive the Law (Exodus 24:18); 40 days Jesus was tempted by the Devil (Matthew 4:2); 40 days of Jonah (Jonah 3:4); 40 days of Elijah (1 Kings 19:8).

I thought how important teaching the disciples must have been to God and Jesus–to make sure they get it, get Him–and be able to convey that to all of humanity.

The importance of God demonstrating His power.  The significance of Jesus’s death.  Very impactful lesson.

End Note:  Theophilus (Greek meaning lover of God) is the person to whom Luke is writing the books of Acts (and the book of Luke previously) to.  Be careful reading this because my first go-around, I thought his former book was called Theophilus. Nothing else is known about who exactly Theophilus is.

Since Theophilus means “lover of God” I’d like to think Luke is speaking and writing to me and all those who love God.

The following link gives a detailed background and introduction to the book of Acts.  Great info:

About these ads

10 comments on “BSF Study Questions Acts Lesson 1, Day 2: Acts 1:1-4; Luke 24:25-27, 36-53

1. Lynn says:

The question I had a hard time with was question 7b – “Is it possible to have the Holy Spirit “with you” but not “in you” and why? What are your thoughts on that question?

2. GraceGirlAllDayLong says:

So excited to see you are doing BSF! It is like having a “study buddy”… that I have never met!

I know you have had mixed comments regarding use of the BSF material – I respect the BSF process… but, also get the commentary regarding the Pharisees like approach concerning rules regarding the BSF. I am sometimes perplexed by the rules of the organization. The group I attend is very conservative. For example, you can not be in leadership if you have been divorced. We have a problem getting small group leaders and there are wonderful women with great hearts and a tremedous love of the lord ready to serve. Sadly, it is not with BSF.

Don’t get me wrong, our main speaker does an excellent job of explaining the rules and why they are in place. I choose to participate in BSF therefore I accept the rules and the leaderhip God has placed before me. I have seen God work throught our BSF and touch many lives.

Still…. I sometimes am reminded of the behavior of the Pharisees.

On a funny side note – Our leader really drives home the fact that we should do BSF first thing in the morning. it is too difficult with my schedule. I would need to get up so very early. It is best for me if I do my work at the end of the day. I still start my day with prayer, etc. …but, I end my day with my BSF work. I almost feel in the wrong for doing my work in the evening. Why must we do BSF work first thing?

• GraceGirlAllDayLong says:

Feel free to “grammer check”… typed too fast and didn’t double check before I hit “post”! Oops!

• Lisa Bain says:

BSF as an organization does not prohibit divorced men and women from serving through BSF. We have many women in our evening class who are divorced. The men’s class my husband attends has divorced men in leadership also. I am not sure why your class has no divorced people in leadership . . . maybe they don’t talk about it as a general rule because they don’t want to promote the very worldly attitude of the society we live in as divorce being the first solution to unhappiness. Perhaps the TL stresses morning Bible study because most people are not disciplined to do it in the evening and end up falling asleep and doing it over the weekend instead of during the week. It sounds like you are disciplined . . . the exception not the rule.

• Lisa says:

Hi Ladies,
        I was once invited to facilitate a small group in BSF. After they found out that when I was young, my husband had left me and I was divorced, they told me I couldn’t. I volunteered to work with the children and they told me they didn’t like the church I went to. (North Coast Calvary Chapel in Carlsbad California). I was hurt

Sad story. I can’t comment on this because I don’t know BSF’s policies for leaders but I do hope this has changed. Anyone who has a heart for God and is called in this capacity should not be hindered.

• Carole says:

I have struggled with the admonition to “do it first”. Praying that your time with the LORD whether it is at the beginning or the end of the day will be so rewarding that you don’t worry about it any more.

3. Thank you so much Atozmom’s Blog for sending me your BSF Study Questions! Praise God that He answered my prayer for this!!!…
    God bless you and as well for this study lessons!

4. Marissa says:

Three thoughts:

1. Lynn: My answer to that question is; Yes, because God is with everyone, even those who are non-believers. Just because someone doesn’t acknowledge the presence of God, doesn’t mean he doesn’t exist. If someone were standing out my window at night staring in and I didn’t see him, I could not acknowledge him. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t exist. Those who don’t acknowlege God haven’t been looking.

2. I do my study after my children and husband have left for school and work. I awake at 5:30 to start getting everyone out the door by 7am. I would not be able to concentrate on my study if my family still needed me. I place my God before my family, so therefore, I wait till I can give him my full attention, and not be interrupted or unfocused. Some days I am required to wait till I can do my study in the evening. I often double up two days if I know the next day is chaotic. I applaud anyone who can discipline their time and efforts to doing their study in a timely manner, no matter what time of day.

3. As for the BSF organization, this is just my second full year. I love the notes and questions. I enjoyed this weeks lecture. Last year I had a hinderance to our speaker only because her voice is a bit mousy for me. I prayed long and hard asking God to take away my bias and listen to his words, not her voice. I enjoyed the lecture and learned so much from just this first lecture. As for the issues of not sharing the lessons unless you are a group member, I believe they are defeating the purpose of reaching the world for Christ. Our speaker mentioned how all the nations at that time were reached for Christ. Well, isn’t that what we are supposed to be doing? Reaching the world for Christ. By not sharing the lessons to those unavailable for meetings is keeping the word of our Lord hidden from view and therefore against biblical principles. I too will follow the rules I agreed to and one day my kids will be able to look back at the thoughts their mother had on certain Christian issues.

God bless us all who endeavor to learn his word and hold it in our hearts to share.