BSF Study Questions Acts Lesson 1, Day 4: Acts 1:4-11

Summary of passage:  Jesus gives the disciples a command to not leave Jerusalem until they have received the gift from His Father, which is the Holy Spirit.  The disciples asked Jesus if he was going to restore the kingdom of Israel and Jesus says it is not for them to know the Father’s timing; it is for them to be witnesses for him in Judea, Jerusalem, Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.

Then Jesus was taken up before their eyes into heaven.  Two men in white suddenly appeared next to the disciples and said this same Jesus will come back again in the same way you have seen him ascend.  (Basically, quit gawking and start talking!  You have much work to do!).

8 ) Yes.  Before Jesus, man has always been separated from God by man’s sin.  Jesus enables man to be with God because Jesus has taken our sin upon himself.  Therefore, we must have the Spirit of Christ within us in order to be with God (Summarization of Romans 8: 1-9).  If we receive Christ, we receive his Spirit and we become alive with righteousness (Romans 8:10).  This Spirit is what allows us to share in Christ’s glory (Romans 8:17).

1 Corinthians 12:13 says everyone drinks of the same Spirit (God does not discriminate).

2 Corinthians 1:21-22 says God put His Spirit in our hearts as a deposit and as a seal of ownership, claiming us as His.

Galatians 4:6 says 2 Corinthians basically and says this Spirit cries out to God as our father.

9) According to Webster’s dictionary, baptized means “to purify or cleans spiritually” or to “give a name to or christen”.  [Notice Christ in christen]. Fill means to spread through; to possess and perform the duties of; to make full; to place a person in.

Baptism to me usually is one act.  It takes place once.  We ask Jesus into our hearts.  Bam!  He’s there.

Being filled with the Holy Spirit to me means having the Spirit always present. Ephesians 5:18 says don’t be drunk on wine but be drunk on the Spirit.

The difference is subtle.  You can be baptized with the Spirit but then lead an ungodly life (but still going to Heaven).  Or you can be filled with the Spirit all the days of your life and live a life as Jesus would (as humanly possible) and still go to Heaven.  It’s in the application.

I love the Stephen example (Acts 6:3-4).  I’m assuming all the brothers were baptized with the Holy Spirit.  But the Seven were chosen because they were full of the Spirit.  Stephen is described as such twice in this example.  So there was something about Stephen that made him stand out and I believe it was because he lived his life with the Spirit (God and Jesus) as his guide.  They walked in the ways of the Spirit.

10a)  Proof of power was when the Holy Spirit descends on them and Jesus commanded the disciples to be his witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.

b) Personal Question.  My answer:  As a disciple of Christ, I can choose to walk in his ways and live my life according to the Bible’s commandments and be an example to others; a witness to those who do not know Him and share the Good News to those I meet.

11a)  I think they were stunned, shocked, awe-struck, bewildered, and amazed that all the prophecies had come true.  Could this really be happening? they might have thought.  Am I really seeing Jesus, the one and only Jesus, ascend into Heaven?

They might have been sad to see Jesus go–a man they had spent the better part of three years following, living, and breathing with every day and every hour.  It would be like losing a loved one here at home.  They might have even been in denial Jesus was leaving for good, reluctant to believe their best friend, teacher, and leader was leaving for good.

They were probably confused, befuddled a bit by what was happening; wondering when Jesus would return since they kept asking him; wondering when his kingdom would come and pining for it.  Still waiting for an earthly kingdom when Jesus all along had been talking about a spiritual kingdom.

I’d be speechless.  The two men dressed in white had to break their reverie and bring them back to the present by speaking to them while they were still dazed and bedazzled.

John 16:6-7 Jesus says, “You are filled with grief.  But I tell you the truth:  It is for your good that I am going away.  Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you.”

b) The men tell the disciples not to worry, fret, or be sad because the same Jesus will come back to earth in the same manner as they just witnessed him go.

Conclusions:  I had fun with this lesson.  Finally back in the swing of things. Learning new things (always makes me happy).  Clarified some thoughts in my head.  Couldn’t stop typing really.  The beauty of BSF at work.

About these ads

8 comments on “BSF Study Questions Acts Lesson 1, Day 4: Acts 1:4-11

1. Barbara says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH…….you are such a blessing to me. I started my BSF class yesterday and this year I am going into it with a different feeling that I can get more out of these lessons with your input too. Actually I do the work first then compare to you and I am totally surprised how similar my answers are to your answers. It gives me a level of confidence I haven’t had in the past.

Thank you again and keep up the good work.

2. s says:

Already in lesson two in Africa

3. s says:

Lesson two day 3 today 14/11/2011 please keep pace with us so that we can help each other along the way

4. Cary says:

I wasn’t sure if you would be back again this fall in BSF as I had thought you would be moving to an area without a BSF class nearby. I am thankful that you are still in BSF ! Your blog is an inspiration to women everywhere, keep up the writing ! Ignore the negatives, your writing is read all over the world and is all part of God’s plan for you to spread His word.

5. Deb says:

I quite accidentally stumbled across your blog and have enjoyed reading your thoughts. This first lesson has been fun and I look forward to what God has to teach us in the weeks and months ahead.

I especially enjoyed Question 5 and was intrigued by 40 days. Growing up, lenten season lasted 40 days…though I never really knew why, but it was always 40? Luke tells us that the same week Jesus rose, the disciples eyes were opened… they were empowered… So why did the beauty and splendor of heaven have to wait as Jesus stuck around with His disciples… for 40 days? God attaches significance to numbers. So what might it be here?

In the Bible, a period of 40 often represented a period of punishment, trial, or judgment followed by something BIG–here are just a few: It rained for 40 days when God destroyed the earth; Noah remained in the ark another 40 days as God re-generated the earth, the final leg of Israel’s journey before entering the Promised Land lasted 40 days; Moses not once, but twice, spent 40 days on the mountain with God as God gave Israel His commandments. Each of these was the brink of God doing something miraculous and amazing.

Interestingly, ancient Egyptian embalming customs (which were known to Israel after having lived there so long) included a period of 40 days which was believed to prepare a person to enter into a new life. A pagan custom, but descriptive of what was about to come for the disciples of Jesus. Most fascinating of all, just before Jesus was anointed in his work, before the dove descended upon Him and he began in a new way His ministry here on earth–what did he do?? Spent 40 days in the wilderness in close communion with God. The brink of the most amazing thing of all!!

Lesson #1 is my 40 days, my time of preparation for what lies ahead as we begin this walk though the books of Acts. Lord, prepare me for the lessons you are about to teach me–may I learn them well; for the challenges you are about to send my way–may they draw me closer to You. I am on the brink of something big–may it be for Your glory and Yours alone!

6. Lynn says:

9. You said you can be baptized in the Spirit, lead an ungodly live and still go to heaven?? I think Galatians 5:16-25 states otherwise. Vs. 21 specifically says they will not inherit the kingdom of God. If we truly have the Spirit we will bear fruit and will look like the Spirit.

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever[c] you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

7. Donna says:

Just want to say how much I look forward to your postings. It’s added another dimension to my BSF studies. Thank you…and know that I pray for you.

8. Kathy says:

I am so glad you are back this year. I get so much more from my lesson with your imput. I think that the spirit of God directs you, so thank you for being an instrment that God can use.