BSF Study Questions Acts Lesson 24, Day 5: Ephesians 5:22-6:9

Summary of passage:  Wives submit to your husbands for the husband is the head as Christ is the head of the church (his body) and Savior.  The church submits to Christ so wives submit to husbands in everything.

Husbands love your wives as Christ loved the church and died for it and made it holy through the word and his blood.  Husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies (I’m not for sure this is a good analogy this day and age when many people detest their looks) and feed and care for it as Christ did the church.  He will be united to his wife in one flesh.  Husband love wife as self.  Wife respect husband.

Children, obey your parents.  Honor your father and mother.  Fathers, bring your children up in the Lord.  Slaves obey your earthly masters as you would obey Christ from the heart.  Serve as if you were serving the Lord for you will be rewarded for the good you do.

Masters treat slaves in the same way.  Do not threaten them for God is watching and He doesn’t play favorites.

12)  Personal Question.  My answer:  Our goal in life is to be Christ-like.  Here, we learn Christ is the head of the Church so the Church must submit to him.  Christ, the leader, gave himself up for the Church (he died for us).  Christ fed and cared for the church (raised it essentially) and then sacrificed everything he had for it.

How we should live:  not for ourselves but for others.  Helping to raise up others in Christ and sacrificing for them.  We must submit to the leadership as they guide us and care for us.

13)  Personal Question.  My answer:  Respect is missing these days.  We let pride get in the way, thinking we know it all, when we don’t.  Respect hierarchy.  If every act was out of love, peace would reign

Conclusions:  I felt these two questions were vague.  I think BSF didn’t want to offend anyone but I would have preferred more specifics.  This is a hard passage to digest and I think we could have chewed on it more.  I hope we do so in the lecture.

Like the word submit.  When most people hear this word, they immediately rebel and turn the other way.  Yet we submit our will every day.  When the light turns red, we stop the car.  When we apply for a driver’s license, we are submitting our will not to have one. When we submit our taxes, we are acknowledging the government’s authority over us.

Submit according to Webster’s Dictionary means, “to yield to governance or authority; to defer or consent to abide by the opinion or authority of another”.

We submit to God every day by recognizing his authority.  Submitting DOES NOT MEAN inferiority.  Just because we follow someone else’s authority, doesn’t mean they are better than us.  We follow our bosses at work because they have been placed above us.

Next, we submit “to your husbands” not to every man in society.  We unequivocally submit to God.  However, we do not to others.  We are honoring God when we submit to our husbands.

There is a defined role for the wife and a defined role for the husband.  He is the head.  In turn, he protects, shields, nourishes, cherishes, and loves us.  Forever.

That’s my take anyways.

About these ads

8 comments on “BSF Study Questions Acts Lesson 24, Day 5: Ephesians 5:22-6:9

1. Dave Kidder says:

Just a little curious on why your answers are showing up on a study that is currently underway. As insightful as many of your answers are, I really hope and pray that everyone who is involved in this week’s lessons will hold off reading your comments until after they have had a chance to meet with their own groups. These answers as thorough as they may be, must be considered as no more than commentary. We have all agreed to answering these questions based on our Spirit guided study of His Word, and His Word alone. Even the Children’s leaders and Teaching Leaders have agreed that we will refrain from the use of commentary until we have all prepared our own presentations.

Although I have changed my opinion that your forum posts and comments are aimed at causing derision towards BSF, I do have concerns. I would respectfully present to you that you look at your motivations for both the timing and the content of your questions and answers. This week’s lesson stresses unity and patience in love, and hopefully that my comments are taken in the spirit that they were meant. I am thrilled that so many are involved in this study, and that there is an open forum such as this to discuss concerns.

Hey Dave,

You must not have read Day 2, did you? I was gone all week due to a vacation so I was posting the lesson ahead of time since I had no Internet access.

Also, did you ever think that just because you are on a Lesson that others are not? I know for a fact that others are 1-3 lessons AHEAD of us. I get request after request “to catch up” (at least one a week). Some classes are taking a Spring Break, some are not. Since December, many have been ahead of you so I would like you to consider that fact.

As I have stated many, many times on this site before but I will humor you since you are “newer” here: it is not my responsibility how people use this site. I have no control over it once it’s out there. I have stated my wishes before (here’s one example) on how to use this site many, many times but people will do what they will. It’s up to them and God, not me and them. I don’t judge. I would suggest you do the same.

• Mitch says:

Dave,

I’m glad to have found this blog. As my week comes to an end, it was very helpful for me to compare my answers to the bloggers. I got all the fourth day questions right!!!

It gives me more “food for thought”. I wouldn’t be too concerned about someone reading the blog before doing their own answers. God speaks to each of us in a lot of different ways.

Peace!

PS – I agree with atozmom about the “light” treatment of Eph 5:22-6:9. That is a topic where I have found a lot of misunderstanding and confusion. It would have been nice to have had more specific questions about the passage.

• Nelly from Singapore says:

I disagree with Dave asking you to examine your motives, however we’re all members of one body, so I guess we should be gracious in rebuking each other in love. I did totally copy your answers when I was stretched for time and desperate and weak and suffering poor time management. But the Holy Spirit prompts me to read the Bible for myself, and now I only come when I want someone else’s commentary or insight. It helps that my present and past BSF Group Leaders do make it mercifully clear that we are still welcome to come for discussion regardless if we didn’t do the lesson questions, and they don’t bully. Although it’s more beneficial for us and everyone in the group if we did share our personal answers. However, for people who are still oppressed and depressed as I was, otherwise we wouldn’t google, your blog shares with us your contemplations and is in fact a fruitful shoot-off ministry to us.

2. Cindy says:

“Husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies (I’m not for sure this is a good analogy this day and age when many people detest their looks)”

I had a comment on this passage. We had a sermon once that I loved and I don’t remember exactly what the pastor said but it went back to how much we really love our bodies. Even if we detest our looks we still eat because our bodies are hungry, we still drink when our bodies our thirsty, we clean our bodies when we are dirty, we clothe our bodies, basically we always take care of ourselves because we love ourselves even when we don’t think we do. Even when we don’t like ourselves we will still make sure our bodies needs are met. Then there is the whole issue of self hatred being pride going back again to ourselves. We always try to pretend we don’t like ourselves but really we our obsessed with ourselves. Anyways a little confusing but hopefully you get the point I’m trying to make. haha I’m not great with expressing my thoughts so to bad you couldn’t have heard the sermon. Thanks!

Hey Cindy,

I get what you are saying and it makes sense. I think it’s probably different for everyone and it’s a mind thing. It’s being brain-washed by our society that “we’re never good enough” when God says we are and more! Thanks for chiming in! I got it and thanks!

3. Sally Armstrong says:

I appreciate your comments and the time and energy you put into your answers. It has been helpful to me and I’m sure others. The Spirit is certainly able to speak to us in many ways and when I finish my lesson it is helpful to read what you have.

4. Jeanette says:

Thanks for your answers and insights to these lessons. For some reason, I have had a difficult time understanding what BSF wants for the answers. I have gotten more out of each lesson by looking at your answers, going to class, hearing the lecture then reading the notes for that lesson. It has take all of these to help me get through Ephesians….Why? I don’t know but God does and I am glad I have had all these opportunities to have the lessons reinforced. So thank you again many times over for all your hard work and sharing it with us.