BSF Study Questions Isaiah Lesson 11, Day 3 Isaiah 24:7-13

Summary of passage: All gaiety is banished from the Earth as God leaves cities in ruins and piles of rubble.

5) A pile of rubble in the cities, desolate, sad, survivors with no amenities (wine or merry).  No joy is left.  I picture survivors with only the bare necessities.

6a) Personal Question.  My answer: No because God does not say He will spare anyone and mentions all the nations together.

b) Personal Question.  My answer: God treats every human the same; no one is exempt from His laws and judgment. He is fair. This is something mankind will never be.  In terms of destroying everything, it’s like Noah. God wants to start anew and leave only the good.  He is taking away all of man’s amenities and extra stuff in life so He is all that remains. He is forcing the remnant to rely on Him alone, not the comforts of life.  I understand His reasonings and His desire to have us close and can relate as a parent when I take things away from my children as punishment. God only wants the best for us and the best is Him.

Conclusions: I dislike days like today and I know someone out there will chastise me for saying so. The passage was simple: everyone will suffer “in that day”.  Got it.

My problem is relating to God and understanding His ways.  I only can relate as a parent since I discipline and judge my kids.  But God tells us not to judge others, that’s His job.  Okay, so, how am I to relate to Him if I’m not supposed to judge (even though as humans we all do)?  Can I understand His desire to destroy man’s creations on Earth?  Yeah.  Can I understand His desire to destroy His creations? No because I could never harm my children even if they were evil.  I would always love them.  Other people’s kids, yeah, because I’m not personally invested.  But if God is the Father then I can’t understand His judgment and I’m not for sure I’m supposed to.  Are we supposed to “understand” Him? Are we supposed to “relate to Him”?  When He wants to destroy the world?

Judgment is God’s domain, not mine.  I’m just not for sure I’m supposed to be relating to God in His desire to destroy most of mankind.  Can I relate?  Yeah.  Am I supposed to?  Probably not.

6 comments on “BSF Study Questions Isaiah Lesson 11, Day 3 Isaiah 24:7-13

1. Lissette says:

My opinion is that a lot of the bad that happens we create ourselves. It is like a stone dropped in water that creates waves. It can be good or bad. However that is a very good point. To hurt your own creation, I don’t know. How about some opinions from readers.

2. pilar garner says:

I am very thankful that I do not know ALL things…especially the intentions and the hearts,(the true intentions) of people and then based on that knowledge or foreknowledge be THE one who has to decide their outcome. Even on what I know hasn’t happened yet! He(LORD)gives the truth and allows us to choose…He says what the fate will be in our choosing and allows us to choose, but when it comes to God being God and how he sees everything and deals with that information we have no right to choose. I have often thought that I would do things differently than God and would later find out in certain circumstances, when put to a test that I was wrong, dead wrong. HE is never wrong. I can rest in the fact that when life affects us, whether with difficulties, trials or even blessings, that as we approach “those” days we will all have had a chance, a measure of grace and that the hand of God, no matter how it is willed, is sovereign, merciful and always in control. Trust me, we have never received what we “truly” deserved when compared to the purity of God. Better yet let us think on this: His desire is that none should perish… if it would be our desire, then maybe less will.

3. Lissette says:

I have been thinking about your comment all day. “Destroy His own creation”. Besides their not having Jesus or the Holy Spirit in those days,
    HE IS BOSS!!!
    I love your comments, it makes me think.
    Amen Pilar, Thank you.

4. NancyLeeIL says:

Hmmm. Atoz, I don’t know if your name is somewhere on this site, but if it is I apologize for not knowing it.

I think the OT is something that makes us all cringe. I spend a lot of my life in the NT because I could understand Jesus better,not totally, but better. The plagues and death of innocent children…I struggle with that. I mean how do you say to a new believer, read Isaiah it will help you understand who God is?

Mostly I really struggle with the children. I get that adults made bad choices (to put it simply) but why wipe out the innocents? That I don’t get and never will.

Truth is, a new believer isn’t ready for Isaiah I don’t think, but that being said, I think we as humans need Isaiah. I don’t know how you were raised but I went to a church where the pastor scared me to death. He banged on the Bible when he spoke and I was sinful scum. Then I got older and couldn’t compute that “Jesus loves me” and I’m awful. I always wondered why God “bothered” to create me if all I was going to do was sin.

And it all makes sense in human-land. I’m using human logic to understand God of the universe. Uh huh. Truth is, I have no idea why God wipes out children with plagues or devastating battles. But what I find in the OT is this. God isn’t my peer. Jesus is like us…he’s human…has a Mom, hugs children, is beaten and bleeds. We relate to Jesus.

God…he’s another whole dimension. The OT balances the NT. God doesn’t do things in human form in any way or shape. He doesn’t have a mother, hold children or bleed. He’s God. I am. For me, what I see that the OT moves me another step into spiritual maturity. Can I trust God without ever understanding God?

People suffer for years. I struggle with Job. Here’s this great man and God lets Satan wipe out his family. I find myself actually feeling a bit like God is playing games with Job’s life. This is where the rubber hits the road in faith. If God chose to wipe out my whole family, or let Satan do it…do I have that kind of faith?

So I guess what I’m saying (and I love reading your conclusion btw)…I don’t think we’re supposed to understand God. He’s God but I think God knows us well enough as humans to know that we need to be whacked over the head with a 2×4 now and then, that he is GOD not my peer. We need to know he can devastate in a day. That he can choose to do as he wills. Once you know that, can you not wake up in the morning with a heart full of gratitude? He let me breathe this breath. He lets me take this step. He lets me hug this child again. He lets me eat and drink. The OT knocks out everything we lean on. He will have his way. He is truly the great I AM and I will never understand him. Never. I will NEVER understand why innocents die but I will also NEVER understand why God bothered to create me knowing I was going to be the screw up I am or why he wants me with him in heaven either.

I see a great deal of wisdom and balance in God that I often find confusing. I’m sure you’ve experienced it with your kids. Sometimes it’s better to not say anything it’s more powerful to let natural consequences teach…sometimes it’s better to “nip it in the bud” and dole out consequences right away. When is the right time for what? I finally figured out, that if I went to God FIRST, he’d either give me the words and actions or silence was best. Only God knows my child’s heart really, where it’s at…

I love how you make me think with your own conclusions or notes. I hope you don’t mind me sharing what it stirs up in me in return.

Much Peace, (Nancy in IL)

Hey Nancy,
      Nope, I LOVE your sharing. I wish more people would. During BSF discussion, there is really no time to delve in depth on a subject or, in this case, talk about things that are stirred up inside of us from the questions. It’s always rush, rush, rush so we can get the questions done and not be late for lecture, which although understandable is unfortunate. Part of me starting this site is to get all of my thoughts out and not just what fits in a tiny white space on a page. I think better when I write and use a lot of verbiage so I understand the lesson better when I’m typing it with no constraints.
      My ideas are just that: from one person. It’s great when I get comments from others. Then it stimulates much more thought and discussion and we can learn more. Plus, it’s great to get other thoughts as I do the questions because then it’s fresh in my mind. Waiting a week to discuss Day 1 and Day 2 is a struggle with the daily crises we all face (you know, forgetting this or that, dealing with people on the phone, running a household, managing kids’s lives and husband’s (he, he!), etc).
      Regarding your comments: I loved your whole separation of God and Jesus. I often think of them as one and the same because in a sense they are and in another sense they’re not. So, that helped me to think of this better. I’m reading a book called “The 5000 Year Leap” which when I’m done I’ll do a full review on this site. It was recommended by Glenn Beck as the book that changed his thinking about a lot of things so I grabbed it from the library. Anyways, I just read last night how we all can know God exists simply by thinking about the logic of a Creator. Moreover, we can know God because we are made in his image and so we can extrapolate some things from that–assume since we are like (blank) than he is. It’s really an awesome analogy based on John Locke’s reasonings.
      I agree we can never understand God and am still wondering if we are even supposed to (He is GOD, ya know–Creator and Destroyer if He chooses to be). I really don’t think we can relate to Him. It’s like the difference between sympathy and empathy–one you’ve been through it, the other you haven’t. How can we relate to someone who merely has to speak a word and we are all toast?
      Yet to draw near to God we must be able to understand on some sense. We have to know Him, who He is, what He has done, what He promises to do–his character–in order to trust in Him.
      So, I guess we can know parts of Him–the parts that are most close to human parts and what he imbibed in us when He created Adam and Eve since it is these parts we can assume are some of His best attributes that He gave to man. We can never understand all of Him.
      Thanks for your comments, Nancy! They got me thinking even more!

5. pilar garner says:

I love how this lesson has made us to really think, meditate, if you will on the meat of God’s word!It has stirred something in us that has placed God in first place again as many BSF lessons have done for me. This is my first in depth study of Isaiah and it has stimulated us/me to be in AWE and to test my faith as Nancy mentioned. All too often we as Christians go through the motions an “ACT” like we are supposed to, like we have “arrived”…yes, at some level with wisdom comes understanding but it is the sheer complexity of God that keeps me searching. I love the comments and the way that God has chosen to reveal himself to each of us. While death and destruction, not only in the OT but very real in my own life has not been easy to understand..it has left me with this thought… If this part of God is so riveting, overwhemling at times for us to hard to fathom or take in then, on the flip side have we ever/could we ever really comprehend the magnitude/immensity or the scope of his love? The more that I learned perhaps the less I agree with, but God wants my faith and trust… not my approval. We are human fraile, fragile and finite. The best thing I have have learned…He is not. I love this blog. Thank you for your faithfulness. Pilar (GA)