BSF Study Questions Isaiah Lesson 26, Day 5 Isaiah 59:16-21

Summary of passage:  The Lord saw there was no one to intervene for the people and was appalled.  So God used his own arm to bring salvation and righteousness, putting on a breastplate and helmet (reminds me of Ephesians 6:10-17).  He will come like a pent-up flood and will repay his enemies according to what they have done.  Men will fear the name of the Lord and revere His glory.  The Redeemer will come to those who repent of their sins.  The Lord’s covenant is with the people as His Spirit is upon them and His words He put in their mouths will not depart throughout the generations.

10a)  There was no one, no man to intervene on Israel’s behalf–to show them the way back to God.

b)  Those needing redemption:  are lost and blind in the dark, rebellious, treacherous, liars, violent, evil, and have turned their backs on God.  The Redeemer:  just, righteous, truthful, honest, wears the helmet of salvation, will bring retribution to his foes, will come like a flood with the breath of the Lord behind Him.

11)  The Redeemer will come to those who repent of their sins and God’s spirit and words will never depart from them or their descendants forever

12)  Isaiah 51:16:  I have put my words in your mouth and covered you with the shadow of my hand…”

Matthew 4:4:  “‘Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.”

Luke 4:1:  “Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan…”

Matthew 3:16:  “Jesus was baptized…and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him.”

Conclusions:  Sometimes I wish I could come like a pent-up flood with the breath of the Lord behind me. Or at least live as such.

I scoured the Internet for a good 45 minutes looking for verses for Question 12.  I found a lot of implied fulfillments such as Luke 22:20, which did not satisfy me.  I was looking specifically for where the Bible says Jesus is the Spirit and God has put words in Jesus’s mouth and was pretty unsuccessful.  Let me know what you all found!

I did find this website.  Fascinating stuff about the fulfillment of Messianic prophecies with a chart that gives the OT prophecy next to the NT fulfillment:

9 comments on “BSF Study Questions Isaiah Lesson 26, Day 5 Isaiah 59:16-21

1. Colleen says:

John 14:10, 16-18, 26

2. becky says:

I took the question literally…and went to Acts 2:1-4 after Jesus had ascended into heaven and he left the Spirit with us. Pentecost was the first sign of the Holy Spirit evident in the disciples lives. Also, John 14:26, Phil 2:13, and Heb 5:14…signs that the Holy Spirit is evident in our lives.

3. Ellen says:

Hebrews 9:14-15 I found this to be the answer that satisfied me, for question 12

4. Jane says:

I took a totally different route on question 12 than you did, Atozmom. I used Acts 2″38,39 – . . .”Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. This promise is to you, and to your children, and even to the Gentiles —all who have been called by the Lord our God.” I see another poster has said something similar.

5. pilar garner says:

59.19-21 serves as the programmatic statement for the book of
    Acts, building upon its mirrored programmatic passage (Isa. 61.1-2) of Luke’s fi rst volume.
    In Luke, Jesus is the prototypical bearer of the Spirit; in Acts, the bestower of the Spirit. Th e
    Spirit, expressed in the growing and multiplying ‘word’, is the unifying and structuring theme
    in Acts. Th is thesis solves a number of problems in Acts studies.
    Keywords
    Isaiah 59, Acts 2, new covenant, programmatic statement, acts, prophecy, pentecost, Spirit
    Th is article is the second of a two-part series showing that the structure and
    themes of at least the early sections of Acts seem to mirror the programmatic
    prophecy of Isa. 59.19-21. More signifi cantly, the Lukan lens of this Isaiah
    template shifts the traditional focal point that defi nes the nature and purpose
    of the normative Christian life as described in the Acts of the Apostles.*

Jon Ruthven (PhD, Marquette University) is Professor Emeritus, Th eology, Regent
    University School of Divinity and founder of 10-40 Communications. He is now developing
    electronic media evangelism programs and training materials for evangelists in Europe and Asia,
    as well as completing a book, Th e Mission of Jesus: A Field Manual .2008

6. Kathy says:

I used several verses out of the Amplified Bible:Jeremiah 31:33-But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel: After those days, says the Lord, I will put My law within them, and on their hearts will I write it; and I will be their God, and they will be My people.Romans 11:26,27-And so all Israel will be saved. As it is written, The Deliverer will come from Zion, He will banish ungodliness from Jacob.27-And this will be My covenant (My agreement) with them when I shall take away their sins.Galatians 3:29-And if you belong to Christ [are in Him Who is Abraham’s Seed], then you are Abraham’s offspring and [spiritual] heirs according to promise.

7. […] Isaiah records Jesus as saying, “I looked, but there was no one to help, I was appalled that no one gave support; so my own arm worked salvation for me, and my own wrath sustained me.”  This echoes Isaiah 59:16-17 where “He saw that there was no one to intervene; so his own arm worked salvation for him, and his own righteousness sustained him.” (Review BSF Lesson 26 Day 5.  Read my post here.) […]

8. Rose says:

My view for Question 12 – Jesus Christ taught the Word to his disciples.B4 His ascension he promised to send them The Holy Spirit which he did at Pentecost.I think the the Great Commission made sure that all nations would receive the Good News until His 2nd coming. Mat 28:18-20
    Word still being preached 2day