Do You Ever Feel Someone’s Passing?

Last night, I learned Steve Jobs has passed.  I spent about an hour reading all about his life.  I’m really not sure why.

This morning I realized why:  it was almost as if I and a lot of others felt his passing.

Very few people in this world have done something as lasting as he has. Here was a man who has touched most of our lives in some way with his company and his visions.  Revolutionizing products that most of us use.

I love my IPod.  I love my MacBook Pro Computer.  Soon, I hope to get an IPhone when the new ones come out.

I always feel sad though when I read when someone has passed so young.  He was 56 and I consider that young in this society.

You ask why.

I like to think when people die it is because their work is done here on Earth and they have something more important to do in Heaven.

But it’s hard to believe this with Mr. Jobs.  His mind was churning up to the end.  It’s hard not to think of what else he could have accomplished had not cancer stood in his way.

Not all of us can impact the world like Mr. Jobs has.  But we all can impact our small little world–those around us–in the same way.

That’s at least what I’m taking from his death.

I pray for his family and his four children who lost their Dad.  May God ease their hearts in this difficult time.

13 comments on “Do You Ever Feel Someone’s Passing?

1. SteveinVA says:

I think you just care about people. Whether it is Steve Jobs dying, or Joe Smith the plumber down the street, you’d care just the same.

I think that reflects on you, the individual and the amount of time you have to reflect on people and their life. Whereas, me, the soldier, ok, someone died. Pull the straps tighter and move on. Let’s get to the end of the road.

A lot of how we perceive and feel is from our upbringings and our own personal stories. I know he did wonders with microchips, and God gave him an uncanny ability on how to analyze their purpose and how to apply them in life.

I do not know much about him. I hope that he didn’t believe his gifts were purely because of his own doing. But, who knows.

I have known far better people who had nothing, and “created” nothing, but loved their families, their friends, our God, and they leave a far longer lasting mark on my life. And I still feel their passing.

• SteveinVA says:

Well he has an interesting background, and more power to him on building an empire….. unfortunately I don’t think he had a relationship with God, he certainly had questionable morals (As we all do) in achieving his empire. Sadly he passed on nothing to those in need. http://xfinity.comcast.net/finance/forwhatitsworth/7133156/10unusualthingsyouprobablydontknowaboutstevejobs/?cid=hero_media

Sadly, the Author has bestowed an opinion of the “Greatest Artist Ever” upon him. Not Steve Jobs fault, but certainly demonstrates the cult following. So many people miss the obvious in life. I guess that’s why we all gather here to appreciate the “Greatest Artist that ever lived”, Jesus Christ.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the soldier perspective. Something us civilians forget and really can’t relate to.

I had read he was a Buddhist so I am assuming he wasn’t a believer either (not for sure but am guessing from what I’ve read). Sad if true.

But he still had a role to play–all non-believers do. And God was hoping down to the final seconds that he would choose Him.

I have not known many to die around me. I haven’t lost anyone of significance yet (thank God) so it’s hard for me to relate. Thanks for the added perspective.

2. Kallie says:

That is such a beautiful tribute to Steve Jobs. Thank you for sharing what many of us felt but could not put into words. I hope his family will read your words and find comfort. I love you, AtoZMom.

3. Larry says:

I felt that too! I immmediately called my wife.

4. Carol says:

Beautifully said! He truly impacked many, many lives with his genious.

5. Birgit says:

I am wondering about “God is hoping”. Doesn’t He know already? That is such a confusing subject for me.
    My take is that we are hoping, God already knows, right?

6. From an older generation I was’t aware of all his accomplishment, however, I can’t help but think about Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ died at 33 yrs, he left us salvation, What can be any greater then this? When I feel any loss , family or otherwise I must remind myself of this.

7. […] was thinking of this in relation to my Steve Jobs post since I’m not sure if he was a Christian or not so I know if he wasn’t then God would […]

8. Carole says:

This was written by Doug Phillips of Vision Forum about the passing of Steve Jobs. I thought you might enjoy his insights.

9. DMR says:

YES, DEFINITELY. Despite all of his adversity, I think he was an extraordinary person. In addition to his creativity, vision, and intellect, he appears to be a real “human being” rather than a “human doing”.

• SteveInVA says:

Interesting you should characterize him as such DMR. I think part of being human is giving. I do not think anyone would dispute his accumen for running a business, perhaps even the 1st trillion dollar business in the history of the world. This multi-billion dollar business of his has no philanthropic ties, does no charity, nor did he.

What he appears to be is someone who is highly intellectual, but less than giving. I see the media keeps heaping praise upon his creativity, but having worked in the IT world, I wonder how the experts out of sight who actually do the creating feel about this?

He presided over an empire. That is all. I have yet to see where he has done anything for mankind, other than “create” a gadget that does something.

I would hope that people pay the same attantion and homage to Billy Graham when his time comes……..