I Feel Like I’m in a Holding Pattern…

Definition of a holding pattern:  a state or period of no progress or change; a usually circular pattern flown by aircraft waiting to land.

Then all of its occupants can resume their lives.

This is me.

I’m stuck in this in-between phase of my life where nothing is getting done.

And it’s driving me nuts!

I’m waiting to move into my new home.  Unsure of the date as of yet.  I’ve done all I can do:  called utility companies, put a forward on our mail, submitted change of address forms, done all of my little errands, etc.

Now it’s all a wait game.

I have tons of stuff I need to be doing, but I can’t do any of it until I move.  Like get Internet.  Library cards.  Unpack.  Make a home.

It’s hard to do anything here–in a home not your own.  Play guitar.  Read books.  Cook. Clean.  All of my normal day-to-day activities.

Time still drags and sometimes I count the minutes.

But at least the circles are getting smaller and smaller and the destination is getting closer and closer.

That’s all we can hope for, right?

15 comments on “I Feel Like I’m in a Holding Pattern…

1. Jeanette says:

Glad to hear from you Atoz……Okay you are in a holding pattern which can bug the calmest person when there are things to do and calm I don’t think you are in the least. I guess now that you have done all the little things you can…just try to relax because you know when you move you will wear yourself ragged! Try to store up some much needed energy you will need in the future. I guess this means you are at your in-laws waiting. Praying for you……I know this is a time you were not looking forward to. I pray your children can spend some time with their grandparents that won’t cause them or you too much distress. God knows where you are…He is watching over you and yours. I pray you have a Happy New Year and this time too will pass!
    Love you Atoz; you will make it…I have great faith in your endurance.

2. S.P. says:

Just saying, coming from a military family that moved every two years, I always looked “forward” and certainly never stressed about change or moves. Life is an awesome adventure, enjoy it! “Don’t Worry, Be Happy”.

3. Sue says:

Happy New Year Atoz! I just know things will work out for you. I have a question. If you could pick one book to help you study the Bible, what would it be? I want to purchase one, but I just don’t know which one. This is just my second year with BSF and I am enjoying it so much. I really enjoy your blog and look forward to hearing what you have to say and your interpretations. I also like when you give us articles/books/maps where we can go to get more information. Thank you!

Good question, Sue,

While I by no means have all the answers I’ll tell you what I use. I use the most Zondervan’s Illustrated Bible Dictionary by J D Douglas and Merrill C Tenney. I also use Zondervan’s Atlas of the Bible by Carl G Rasmussen but I don’t use that as much in Acts as I did in the study of Isaiah.

These are the two I bought, own, and use–both from Sam’s Club for around $25 each I believe. I’m sure Amazon would have them as well.

Hope that helps and Happy New Year!

4. Glen Whitbeck says:

I have really enjoyed your postings and views and have enjoyed reading you BSF answers as my wife has enjoyed your column to. I have been wanting to ask for a while now and will take this time to go ahead and ask whether you answer or not is your choice. Where about are you located and where are you headed to? Thanks for letting me ask…

Hey Glen,

You can ask whatever you want here.

On this one though I won’t answer. I’m moving from a tiny town to a mid-size town and will be commuting to a bigger town/city for BSF. That’s about all I’m going to say.

Happy New Year!

• Glen Whitbeck says:

Are you in The USA or overseas?

• Sweet Mama says:

The good news is that you’ll be out of a tiny town and you’ll be close enough to commute to a BSF class!!!

Transitions were always hard for me. I was okay during the holding pattern/down time but not so good when I was finally some place and could move forward. I would be so used to the can’t, don’t, have to wait…that when I was able to choose, do, proceed…I sometimes would just want to hole up and fortress. Sometimes it was because I was fearful and sometimes because I really felt out of place and didn’t see any hope of finding one and sometimes I was just lazy and out of practice. I only did ten versus Steve’s 20 moves so I’m not an expert by any means. He’s always the kick in the pants I need to get going again! He’s our trainer/coach!

Happy New Year!

• SteveinVA says:

Sweet: You’re one of the most insightful people who post here, and I am sure you don’t need a “Kick in the pants”.

That said, it has been rather quiet in here lately, so maybe A to Z took a bit of time for herself. One can always hope!

Since I don’t have a blog myself, the big news here is the new grandson. What a bundle of joy and a cute kid to boot! Now the story that goes along with him is rather irritating, but he will certainly be loved!

For now he lives with us, along with our 21 year old who is quickly learning a few harsh realities in life. I can only hope it makes her stronger and wiser.

Does that mean you missed me, Steve??? He, he!!

No, unfortunately, I wasn’t. It was a forced absence having not had Internet for the majority of the last 2 weeks. It has driven me nuts!

But I’m back so you can rest easy now.

Congrats on the new grandson! Awesome! Yes, I’m sure your daughter is learning some valuable life lessons. How can you not when you’re a parent??? And, as you know, it’s all in God’s plan and in His hands.

Email me a pic if you like! I’d love to see him! I just love little babies (the ones I can hold and give back of course!).

5. SteveinVA says:

Holding patterns are a way to keep planes safe. They may be in a holding pattern for traffic (Crashes are a bad thing), for an emergency (Need to clear some space at the airport), etc

Ok, Steve, WYP???

The point is this: You’re not in a holding pattern for the sake of being in one, but you’re in one Because God put you there. What does it mean? Well if we all knew those answers, we wouldn’t be here, now would we?

However, this is a great time to pause, relax, reflect and formulate your plan. Yes, sometimes moving sucks. been there done that at least 20 times. BUT, looking forward to the future instead of where you left and what you left behind makes it all worthwhile.

Time only drags when you don’t make use of it. Reflect back when you were very harried, worried, and just going nuts earlier this year. You were blogging about not having time to do anything. Now you have been given the time by God to do those things, but somehow you’re lamenting that this is now the problem.

That makes no sense kiddo! Our time here is but a drop of water in an endless ocean. Use it wisely!

6. Have A Blessed New Year Atoz!!! Thank you again for your BSF answers…it helps and big blessings. God bless your new place and family as well!

7. Kandi says:

In a “holding pattern” of my own. I understand the frustration. Mine is more on a spiritual level. Hang in there.

8. Irene Wong says:

Hi Dear,
    Congrats, hope this is your dreamed home!
    I wish you have a smooth packed and unpacked work settled quickly!

May you and your family have a heaven blessed New Year!!!