This is an actual google search that landed on my website about a year and a half ago.

And to tell you the truth, this is scary.  It’s a very good question and one of the reasons my husband and I chose not to do Santa Clause, the Easter bunny, tooth fairy, or anything else that’s make-believe.

Since God cannot physically be seen (like Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy), it requires a certain amount of belief on man’s part that He is out there (this is called faith).  Of course, people do see God or experience His presence or get a word from Him.  But for the most part, these are few and far between and not everyone has these experiences.

I believe when kids discover that Mommy and Daddy are really the tooth fairy or Santa, they are confused, disappointed and feel let down.  People feel this about God as well.  We become angry at God when we don’t understand what He is doing in our life or bad things happen.  Little kids feel the same way.  They don’t understand.  It is our job to give them the tools (the faith) to understand (as much as God allows us to anyway).

You can argue the innocence in believing in Santa Clause all day long with me.  What it boils down to (for me) is this:

In this fleeting world, I want my kids to know they can come to me with anything and they will get the truth.  When TV, the Internet, or their friends tell them one thing and I say another, I don’t want them to ever doubt who’s telling the truth:  me.

Nor do I ever want them to doubt who’s really watching if they are good or not:  God.  I don’t want my kids to behave  or do the right thing because of Santa Clause.  I want them to behave and do what is right because God is watching them.  I don’t want them to think Easter is about some floppy bunny.  Easter is about what Jesus did on the cross for them and everyone else.  Period.  Nothing else.

And the Tooth Fairy.  You have to draw the line somewhere.  And to me this is the most fantastical.  I won’t pretend to say I know how this myth got started but to ask my children to believe some little person with wings flies in and puts money under your pillow all because you lost a tooth is a BIG stretch, don’t you think?

I’m all about imagination.  But I want my kids to know it’s imagination.  And I want my kids to know what’s real.  But most importantly, I want my kids to know WHO gave them the brain to imagine:  God.  And it’s all about Him.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.

End Note:  This is a very old post I decided to resurrect after being accused of ruining a little girl’s belief in the tooth fairy because she googled and found a previous post of mine (read this and the argument I had with her mother HERE).

I want to urge parents to think through these decisions instead of blindly following society’s lead that emphasizes secularism.  I believe faith in God is crucial in this world–not only to get to heaven but to survive in this increasing-chaotic society we live in.  Faith is the crux.  And if children don’t have faith in their parents to tell them the truth in this world how will they have faith in God?

This is my opinion of course and you are given the Free Will by God Almighty to choose what you like.

9 comments on ““If She Lied About the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, Then Who’s To Say She Didn’t Lie about God?”

1. Lissette says:

AMEN!!!

2. Grace says:

if you really want the truth go to u-tube and look up Paul Staly video Truth or Tradition you see why me and my hUsband dont do Santa Claus or Easter they represent pagan gods you’ll be blown away with the truth

3. Texas girl says:

Well said. I couldn’t agree with you more.

4. Mary says:

I agree but my husband doesn’t. We therefore celebrate Christmas as the rest of the world does. It is sad that this pagan tradition was ever started. It is not okay to lie to our children for the reason you stated. A few years back I was discussing this and my then 13 year old grandson was present. He totally understood my reasoning that kids can be confused about a God they don’t see when they could see the Santa lie. Besides we teach our children not to lie when we start lying to them about Santa, the tooth fairy and Easter bunny!

5. Mary says:

My children are now 29, 25, and 22. We decided not to do Santa, Easter Bunny (we did Tooth Fairy – but they knew it was us). I’ve asked if they felt “left out” by not doing those things and to a one they’ve said “No”, and “actually, we appreciate the traditions we do have” which are Christ centered but fun as well. We were especially ridiculed by family for not doing Halloween – but our kids went to All Saints Eve parties, played games, and all around had more fun than their friends (who wanted to come with them the next year) and even got better candy.

It comes down to what you want to do. I felt better being honest up front because, like you, we were concerned if we said Santa and Easter Bunny were real, and then they found they weren’t would they still believe Jesus, who they can’t see, was also not real.

The outcome: All three love our family traditions (we have lots) and still believe that Jesus is THEIR Lord and Savior.

6. Rhonda Mealer says:

I appreciate the honesty that everyone expresses and respect the decisions made. However, I am 48 years old and I do believe in Santa. I believe Santa lives in me at Christmas and through out the entire year. Let me clarify, he doesn’t live in my heart like the Holy Spirit, only He can do that. I love Christmas and we celebrate the birth of our Savior on that morning and the days of Advent leading up to it. What a special time of the year this is for us. When my daughter decides to ask me if Santa is real, my answer will be YES, because I do believe.

7. Brenda C says:

I have raised 4 children, 29, 26, 23 and 21. Like Mary, we didn’t have Santa or Easter bunny. they received Christmas gifts and also Easter presents. they also got money for their lost tooth, but they knew it was from us. they are healthy strong followers of Christ. They don’t feel like they missed out.

8. […] I have posted about not lying to your kids so they will trust you in the big things.  HERE and HERE if interested.  Have an open relationship.  Have God at the center.  For if God is the center, […]

9. […] the same argument I use with the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and Santa Claus.  If you lie to your kids about their […]