BSF Study Questions Genesis Lesson 31, Day 2: Genesis 49:29-50:6

Summary of passage:  Jacob gave each son the appropriate blessing.  He requests to be buried in the same tomb as Abraham and Sarah, Isaac and Rebekah, and Leah.  Then he died.

Joseph threw himself upon his father and wept.  He was embalmed and mourned over for 70 days.  Joseph asked Pharaoh for permission to bury his father in Canaan, which Pharaoh granted.

3a)  Personal Question.  My answer:  Hebrews of course says Jacob had faith.  No.  There is no indication in this passage of fear.

b)  Personal Question.  My answer:  That God is the God of the living, not the dead.  So this infers Jacob knew he would live again with God.

4a)  Personal Question.  My answers, which I already knew and didn’t “learn” here:

Hebrews 9:27:  Man is destined to die and face judgement.

Romans 3:23; 6:23:  All have sinned and fell short of the glory of God.  Wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 5:24:  Whoever hears Jesus’ words and believes in God has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

John 8:24:  You will die in your sins if you do not believe in Jesus.

John 11:26:  Whoever lives and believes in Jesus will never die.

b)  Personal Question.  My answer:  Not sure what this has to do with Jacob’s death.  We have read about dozens of people dying in Genesis:  Abraham, Isaac, Rebekah, Sarah, Rebekah’s nurse, etc.  Why ask this now?

My answer:  I’m not because I firmly believe I have not accomplished God’s work for me yet here on earth so I enjoy living each and every day and not thinking or dwelling on death.  For in the end all we have is this day for we do not know.

And if I die, I’m as “prepared” as we all are.  There’s nothing I can do about it.  So why even worry about it?  That’s God’s job, not mine.

5)  He fulfilled Jacob’s last request by burying him in Canaan.

Conclusions:  I’m assuming the answer to my question of why BSF is asking the death question now is because they have run out of questions to ask.

Question 5 was just dumb.  This is a “duh”.  We all know Joseph is trustworthy from reading Genesis.  That is his character.  So why wouldn’t he be now?

I’m just getting frustrated here with the personal questions.  It’s an indication of stretching out the lesson.  In my opinion, we could have ended this study a few weeks ago instead of answering “filler” and “duh” questions.

This is the second time I’ve noticed recently of being given only one verse that even isn’t a complete sentence to go off of (It was last week DAY 5).  If BSF is going to give us reference passages to look up, let it be the whole passage so we can understand.  Reading a sentence fragment 1) goes against all of my writing background and irks me 2) never gives us the full story.  Please assign more than this.

In this instance, Hebrews 11:28 is so much more richer.  It says just as we are meant to die, “so Christ was..to bring salvation”…  Anytime I am like Christ, I rejoice.  Plus, salvation is near!  Hence, we should in death as well.  I believe this is the more important point.

Sorry to all who believe I have been critical of BSF lately (yes, I’ve noticed it myself) as I’m sure you’ll all comment on it. But I am frustrated and when I am, I will say so.  I cannot change my feelings over the matter.  I just feel like a bunch of this could have been cut out.  Either that or I’m missing the point entirely.

I try to keep in perspective that BSF is also for those who don’t know Jesus and are seeking him and so they write questions to that effect, which is great.  However, it is monotonous to us believers (or maybe just me) and I can’t help but say so.

End Note:  Jacob was mourned just 2 days less than a pharaoh would have been mourned.  This shows us just how revered he was in Egypt.

8 comments on “BSF Study Questions Genesis Lesson 31, Day 2: Genesis 49:29-50:6

1. quiltygirl2 says:

We have a choice in how we respond in every situation and whether or not we seek to find God’s purpose for us and His joy or be negative and joyless. I think the real issue here is pride. You have not chosen to trust God’s empowering of the BSF leaders and their decision for the length of these lessons. God’s Word is rich and always has things for us to learn. It’s easy to be critical, but much harder to submit to the authority you have placed yourself under (because attending BSF is a choice) and realize that a lesson that might not have as much impact for you may speak volumes to another.

2. Sweet Mama says:

All lessons are going to be 30 weeks starting next year. So BSF leaders have responded and lessons will be reduced from 32 to 30 weeks. I’m curious why you are choosing to be so judgmental towards AtoZMom who has provided us with such richness this year and year’s past from additional maps, links to cultural explanations and customs, and a place to go beyond and to help each other. We all have times of joy and times of mourning, times of happiness and times of frustration and despair. She was expressing her opinion that this particular lesson had some questions she felt might be more appropriate in a different lesson and maybe not as much meat that was particular useful for her as others had. It’s just that…an opinion. I’ve had weeks recently of struggle despite loving this section on Joseph. That doesn’t make me a bad BSF leader. It makes me HUMAN. Yes, I am trusting God. However, it doesn’t stop houses from flooding, children from suffering physical pain, money going out the door for one repair after another and failing appliances, husbands from working out of town, my health from deteriorating just because I’m a leader. I can quote the joy of the Lord is my strength but it doesn’t make the weariness of dealing long distance with an elderly parent I’m not there to help and for whom I can’t be because at the same time I have a child recovering from major surgery and by the way, I’m an only child. Yes, I trust God to work it out. But I’m still weary and exhausted right now physically, mentally, and emotionally. There’s a lot more going on in my life right now than what I mentioned. AtoZMom has tons of stuff going on that you do not know about. Have you ever home schooled? I have. Have you ever dealt with a spouse working out of town, out of state, or who has been deployed for months on end? She has and so have I. Try to have some compassion, pretty please. We don’t all just do BSF in a vacuum and nothing else! I don’t go into someone else’s home and criticize their motives. I don’t go into someone else’s church as a guest and criticize their doctrines or practices. You can tell I’m sick because my sweet is as sour as my stomach tonight. I will pray that we all work on our kindness and patience and love and understanding. I needed more of all of that today and it sounds like the rest of you do, too.

3. Yes we do make choices that we reflect upon as maybe not being the best, and life is crushing in it ‘s constant demands. We need to shorten up on the occupied zone and chill out in the quiet time playground for Adults. It seems when it comes to worldly demands we can always squezze in one more, We need to stop being a slave to the world and take time out for ones self. The sabath was for refreshment and to rekindle our relationships. Take time for yourself, dont be guilty, be happy. This life is not worth destoying yourself before you get to the finish line.

May God Bless and keep you his.

• katieleggs says:

I have to agree with atozmom this year. This is my 5th year and just started connecting with this website. The lesson is frustrating to me as well because of the repetitive questions. My leader said the writers are doing this so that we can go back and possibly rethink what we are gleening from the lessons. I say that the lesson is not that “deep” that we need to continually go over the same chapters. I pray that next year will be different. I need and want these lessons to fill me with our precious Lords Word. I have not been very faithful to my lessons this year because of these questions…too many personal.

4. MarshaTice says:

I’m sorry, but I do feel you are being rebellious and you may be guilty of stumbling someone less grounded. We do have power over our thoughts and we can and must give our frustrations/questions over to the Lord Jesus. He is the only one who can change those thoughts–but, you must want to be different. Sometimes pride makes us want to hold on to these things and elevates us over others, at least in our own minds.I hate to see someone who is more fragile be led astray. We are to respect our leaders, no matter who they are; I think if you can’t respect the BSF organization, it might be better to withdraw from it rather than to bad-mouth it.

• for Jesus Sake says:

Last time I checked my Bible, those of us who are in Christ are no longer condemned or guilty. Romans 8:Deliverance from Bondage

1Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.3For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh,4so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

…37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. 38For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

This is my first year in BSF, which I appreciate. It is a well run organization, with a very specific hierarchy. Order is of course good. However I do think all points are good and not meant to be critical. What I am grieved in my Spirit about is the avoidance of discussing the LOVE of God toward us and the patriarchs in all these chapters. Yes we “were dead in our sins” but God loved and love us so much–that He gave.

It is by Grace that we are saved–it is God who wills and works in us and promises to finish it before that day.

So what’s my point? The word guilt is like a curse, which we are no longer under because Jesus became the curse on the tree for us.

“Love covers a multitude of sins.” I’ll leave the research up to you lovely ladies as I know we all can agree that we are in BSF because we love delving into God’s Word and learning of Him.

xo

PS No one’s bad here, or else Christ Blood is not sufficient.

5. mingyu says:

I occasionally come to your blog on the morning of my BSF gathering. However i do not make a habit of it because God has provided a group that is great. So i know that you ‘can’t help but’ etc. But i think the Holy Spirit can help you not complain about the BSF materials so much. This is your personal blog where you freely vent. For me, i am saying that maybe it’s because this is black and white, but it comes across as very critical and possibly stumbling and discourage weaker members.

Just as you prefer being complimented and honey catches more bees, why not directly feedback to the bsf headquarters and let them prayerfully decide about your feedback? Because i also think it’s the group leader who guides the group discussion and the contribution of the members, so I really think the questions you think needs combining really don’t need combining at all. It could be a different angle.

Respectfully yours from Singapore
    Ming yu

6. mingyu says:

Having said what I’ve said in my previous comment, I believe you will make a good witness and God will use you to plant seeds in non-believers because you are full of fire and you believe in the Bible. I am a believer since I was 9 years old, having been a cradle Sunday-Schooler. No, i do not find the questions or answers monotonous. But we are to be careful of judging each other even though God says we are to GENTLY keep each other that are already in the family of God accountable. Pardon me, i forget the verses, unlike you.

I do respect you and love you and your little quirks. But the pounding on BSF lowers my respect of you a little even though I have been coming to your blog for three years. I think if we could pray for each other, God says to change ourselves. And i really think you can be a more effective witness or evangeliser for God’s kingdom when some of us are silent and lukewarm. If you can pray for me, I would appreciate it because I am in need of prayer. If you can like Simon Cowell, become less grumpy, having discovered Love, we readers of your blog will know that the Holy Spirit is banishing your spirit of complaint. There are many things to rebel against… But i’m not so sure BSF materials are one.