God’s Reason for the Flu

We all know the medical reason for the flu:  our body catches a virus which are tiny microorganisms that infect the body and our body then has to fend it off.  This builds the immune system and is in general just a part of life.

But did you ever think what God’s reason is for the flu?

I have the flu/cold.  I had to leave work and come home.  At home, I took some medicine and took a nap.  Then my lap cat jumped up on my lap and I petted her for a while.

Later, I took a bath with my husband.  I got out and the kids got in.  My husband stayed in and told stories of his childhood to the kids.  All kinds of stories about hunting when he was young, chasing his younger brother, the story of all of his scars, the various places he lived when he was a child, etc.

The house is a disaster.  I need to pick up dog poop.  Laundry and dishes are piling up.

My Lap Cat

My Lap Cat

Yet here I lay, in bed, with my lap cat by my side, nudging me every now and then to pet her, as I listen to my husband tell the kids of how we met.

God’s reason for illness I believe is rest.  It’s truly the only time I stop and rest.  There’s always something to do–something demanding my attention.  But when I’m sick it all can wait.  And I can just rest in Him.  Pray for healing. Thank Him for the rest.  And it’s okay.  No one will judge me because of it.  And truthfully no one will care.

Everything can wait.  Until I am better.

I can rest.  In Him.  Experience Him. In my messy house.  In the tales of my family.  In the love of my cat.  In the blessings I now have time to count.

And God’s reasoning is unfathomable.

And in this case, I am glad.

12 comments on “God’s Reason for the Flu

1. Jacky says:

May His peace be with you. Get well soon

2. Carol says:

Pray you will soon feel better. I love your story. I feel many of us are feeling the same about resting in His pease. Yesterday, I spoke with someone who mentioned “being still” and he quoted Exodus 14:14 (The Lord will fight for you, and you only have to be still”) I could not remember the passage later in the day, so I googled “being still in the Bible” and a site same up that gave me 25 verses referring to this very thing. So many reminders to take time to be still, listen to Him and enjoy each simple moment. Sending you prayers for healing and thanks for you Blog and your insight.
    Merry Christmas

3. junehedge says:

Thank you so much for sharing this with your blog family. You are blessed with your family and we all are blessed with your insights and Biblical knowledge. I am 72 and learn something new with almost every blog. Shows we are never too old to learn more about our Lord Jesus Christ. Have a blessed and happy Christmas to you and your family, and, hope you feel better soon.

4. Janet says:

Praying you feel better in God’s timing. He’ll know when you’re rested 🙂 Enjoy the blessing of down time with your family and pet. Merry Christmas

5. Diana says:

Loved seeing the positive in everything (even the flu)!! Thank you for that insight. Praying for a quick restoration of health for you. Merry Christmas.

6. Kim says:

I have learned this lesson the hard way that God allows us to experience illness to slow us down and spend time with Him. I pray for healing for you in every way you need it. I pray for a blessed Christmas time for you and your family.

7. Thank you for reminding me to be still and rest in Him. I just had a mastectomy five days ago. It’s very hard for me to sit and rest in Him, especially when this surgery wasn’t nearly as painful as I expected it to be. But thanks to your Blog today, I will enjoy sitting and just resting with Him at my side and thank Him that I don’t have the pain as He has taken it from me. What a joy and blessing He has given us.

8. Deb says:

Beautiful! I could not agree more. Life here on earth is a drop in the bucket. When we stop and listen to our bodies, we are listening to God. He designed us.

9. Sharon Amadori says:

I pray for you to heal quickly. God bless you

Sent from my iPhone

10. Kathy says:

I knew there had to be a reason. Thanks for the info and may God bless you through your illness and beyond.

11. Roseli Freitas says:

…wise woman.. Mary not Martha! thanks, I learned a lesson with your testimony! Wish you and yours a blessed 2014 in the presence of our Lord and Saviour, the one and Only worthy to be praised!! Hug from a sister in Christ from Brazil.

12. […] hence my job) has been on a two-week break.  It’s been nice (after I recovered from my nasty illness).  I’ve spent the days cleaning my house, visiting family and friends, reading books both to […]