BSF Study Questions The Life of Moses Lesson 2, Day 3: Exodus 2:15-22

Summary of passage:  Pharaoh tried to kill Moses for killing the Egyptian but Moses fled to Midian instead.  He rested by a well where a Midian priest had come with his seven daughters to water his flock.  Some shepherds came and hogged in but Moses drove them away so the girls could water their flock.

The girls returned to their father, Reuel and told him what happened.  He told them to invite this Egyptian to dinner.  Reuel gave Moses his daughter, Zipporah, to Moses as a wife.  She had a son whom Moses named Gershom, meaning “alien”.

6)  From these verses, I can’t describe the country of Midian.  All we get is there was a well where some girls watered their father’s livestock.  That’s it.  Let me know if you can infer from these verses the geography of the land.

However, as most of us know, the Sinai Peninsulas is a desert just like all of this area of the world.  On a google search, I found that it has two principle regions: high mountains and a sloping plateau.  There is a narrow coastal plain where some farming occurs.  Mostly Bedouins live here still, migrating with their flocks with the seasons.  It is arid and hot with rain in the winter.  The vegetation is sparse and it is an area that is sparsely populated due to the arid climate.

7a)  Coming to the defense of the helpless, doing what was right.

b)  No

c)  Personal Question.  My answer:  Patience.  Less apathy, more sympathy.

Conclusions:  Not much here to go on.  Question 6 annoyed me because it was impossible to answer just using the verses.  Most of us use our background knowledge of the area to picture these scenes.  I saw no change in Moses (Question 7b).  He characteristically helped the girls like he did the Hebrew being beaten by injecting himself in the thick of things.  No one died this time is the only difference.  I still see him as driving the bullies away.  I think this is one of Moses’ greatest character strengths:  his desire to help others no matter the cost.  I wish I had that sometimes.

This lesson should be combined with fourth day.  Would have made a stronger impact.

8 comments on “BSF Study Questions The Life of Moses Lesson 2, Day 3: Exodus 2:15-22

1. […] Notes:  Note how Midian here is described as desert (BSF Lesson 2, Day 3 Question 6).  I picture this as Moses leading a completely obscure life in the middle of nowhere–as far […]

• Peggy says:

I don’t see where it says Moses used force. The women told their father (KJV) “An Egyptian delivered us out of the hand of the shepherds, and also drew water enough for us, and watered the flock.” I don’t know if he “delivered” a blow or if he “delivered” a good diplomatic reason that the shepherds should not bother the women.

2. Julia says:

I took question 7(b) to mean how had Moses changed in the 40 years that he was in the desert? He would now be 80 years old and has reached a point that God can use him. For 40 years he has been living in the desert as a “nobody” taking care of his father-in-law’s sheep that were not even his own. He was an alien in a foreign land, and his life was nothing compared to the first 40 years as a prince of Egypt. However, if the question was based on the fact that only 1-2 weeks had passed since he had killed the Egyptian and had arrived in Midian, then obviously there would be no time for him to have changed! God would not have had time to soften and change his heart in just 2 weeks time. In that case the question BSF asks is really not a very good one, and certainly the question could have been phrased differently to clarify exactly what was their intended meaning!!

• Shelly says:

I took the question to mean since he left Egypt, not over the 40 years. We don’t know that only a few weeks had passed since he left. It could have been longer than that that he lived in solitude. The only change I see is that he didn’t murder the shepherds. He just chased them away while still protecting the underdog. That was positive change. He took it down a notch. Something he should have done with the Egyptian. He was a prince for crying out loud, he had the power to send him off, he didn’t have to kill him. That’s where I saw the change in him. A cooler head prevailed while still being valiant.

3. Shelly says:

Question 6: it’s a dry land, no lakes or rivers as a well was the only water supply. It was also pasture land because the daughters went to “water their flock” & they were chased way by shepherds.

4. Anna Luisa Almonte says:

5. Christa says:

Thank you everyone – for 7(b), I think that he had changed a little since leaving Egypt, this time his act involved servitude instead of just confrontation and violence.

6. Carla Safie says:

Maybe an off-the-wall look at this: 1st.. there were shepherd(S).. and he may have been outnumbered, so that could have been *the change*. 2nd: which I’ve never thought about before, but he is in front of 7 women. Guys do different things in front of women.