BSF Study Questions The Life of Moses Lesson 15, Day 3: Leviticus 9

Summary of passage:  With the priests consecrated, they are now ready to begin service to God.  On the eighth day Moses told Aaron as his first official duty to make a sin and burnt offering and the Lord would appear to him.  Aaron now offered a sin offering and a burnt offering to make atonement for them and the people.  He also offered up a grain offering and a wave offering.  Aaron blessed the people and the glory of the Lord appeared to all the Israelites.  They people then shouted and fell face down.

6a)  Moses told them.  God had told Moses.

b)  Take a bull calf as a sin offering and a ram as a burnt offering to atone for their sins and then to take a male goat as a sin offering and a calf and a lamb as a burnt offering to atone for the people’s sin.

c)  The Lord would appear before them.

d)  Personal Question.  My answer:  I hate the demonstrative pronoun “these” coupled with “things” in relation to a multiple question because I am then left guessing as to which noun “these” is referring to and what are the “things”.  I’m going to guess that BSF means how does performing your God-directed duties with the promise of heavenly rewards affect you since the whole sacrifice thing is unnecessary these days.

If we do God’s will, we are rewarded with His presence.  Simple as that.

7a)  “They shouted for joy and fell facedown”

b)  Personal Question.  My answer:  I cannot think of a time when I would respond in a similar manner as the Israelites did in seeing God’s glory.  I can’t even remotely compare such an experience that would leave me incoherent.

Conclusions:  Could have done without the personal questions on this one.  Still unsure what “these things” refer to in 6d and in 7b I hate when the question asks us to compare an experience the Israelites had (seeing the glory of God) to something we have experienced when for the most part we are never going to get to see the glory of God on this side of heaven.  It irritates me to no end.

End Notes:  Aaron had to sacrifice again for himself for the sin they had committed during the week of the ceremony.  Perfect example of the limitations of animal sacrifices.

First, cleanse yourself.  Then cleanse others.  This was done in front of the Israelites to show that Aaron was human too and needed cleansing.

The Lord is often represented by fire.  Seven times God accepts sacrifices by fire in the Bible.  The Holy Spirit descended with fire.

13 comments on “BSF Study Questions The Life of Moses Lesson 15, Day 3: Leviticus 9

1. Lissette says:

You said: I can’t even remotely compare such an experience that would leave me incoherent.

I had an experience where the Holy Spirit moved upon me with great power. The result was an insatiable desire to read God’s word, to hear praise music, and to speak of Christ. This had a profound and very long-lasting effect on my Christian life

Not everyone needs an actual experience, but God is merciful to those of us who were
    seeking but were skeptics.

2. applepie2go says:

When answering 6d, two verses came to my mind: Colossians 3: 23
    Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,
    Ephesians 6:7
    Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people,

• Julia says:

Thanks for 2 good biblical references that summarizes “that all we do — we do as unto the Lord” to bring Him honor and glory. Our motivation should be our love of God and to please Him for Who He is and for all that He has done for us!

3. Shelly says:

I think you would benefit from reading A. Wetherell Johnson’s book: Called to Committment. It explains so much about the foundation of BSF. it may help you not feel as “irritated to no end”. It answers a lot of the “Why” questions you ask I think. That was a woman completely sold out to our Lord and His purpose. Look at how God used her. Since you’re a reader I thought you might benefit.

4. wendy says:

I read your blog and your BSF answers sometimes because I like your take on things and the detailed information you give. But I kinda wish you would quit crabbing about all the things that “irritate you to no end,” because it really turns me off and gives me a bad attitude about you. BSF (and God) has a plan and a purpose for each and every question in our lessons, even if we can’t see what that might be…even when they ‘irritate’ us. Remember the Isrealites grumbling in the desert? God wasn’t happy with them…I don’t think He would be happy with your being ‘irritated.’

Wendy,

I agree. God is probably not happy with my irritation. But it is how I feel and I would be lying in pretending otherwise. Here, on this forum, I can be more honest than I would normally be. In class, I would never say this because I would be judged. Here, I can say this because none of you know me. And being authentic here I believe is part of the reason people come and it’s what pushes me to keep doing this.

When I can’t see God’s plan in my life, I’m irritated. That’s human nature. It’s something that drives me closer to Him and puts me on my knees in prayer. It shows me areas I need to work on to be more like Jesus. Human feelings and emotions 1) are normal 2) are what drive us to improvement.

This is why I post when things irritate me or likewise. It shows I am human. I am not perfect. And, like you, I am striving to be more like Jesus every day.

You will see next week, I post that I am in a bad mood when I do my questions. There’s nothing wrong with being honest with where you are at. Because if you are not honest, then you are in denial and nothing will ever change.

Anyways, that’s me. That’s who I am. You can form your opinions from that.

God bless and thanks for commenting. It has lead me to post on this as I believe it is important to others as well. Do take care.

5. […] I recently received a couple of comments on my comments on BSF questions.  I said on one day that the personal questions “irritated me to no end”.  One lady said she is forming a bad opinion of me because I said this.  You can read it HERE. […]

6. Tonia says:

Just keep on doing what you’re doing. We all get irritated from time to time and it’s good for me to know others get irritated at some of the questions…I do too!

I count on your posts to check my answers to questions. I do not copy yours by any means, just compare; in fact, I’m ahead of you in answering the questions, I’m on Lesson 22! I don’t read your posts until I have answered all the questions in that lesson, then if we have a diference, I re-read the scripture, sometimes I see it in a different light and re-do my answer but most of the time I leave it as it is.

Anyway, I value your posts, and it doesn’t bother me at all if you speak of your irritation at some of the questions or lessons. I’m glad for your honesty.

You go, girl! Lesson 22! That’s impressive!

What do you plan on doing once you finish a month or so early? Just wondering because I know a lot of people who work ahead and it’s challenging when you forget sometimes the lesson and what you said although I know going back over it you probably glean that much more a second time around. I think a lot experienced that with our month break recently. Just wondering if you had any hints for others…

Keep on trucking….God bless!

7. Renee Lynn says:

I love your blog! It’s so helpful to me. Throughout our walk with God, everyone usually is at a different season. Thank you for your honesty. God bless you for what you do for all of us. God loves you and all of us.
    God Bless You,
    Your sister in Christ,
    Renee

8. Stephanie says:

I like your recaps and research. I sometimes get stuck and check to see where you go with it. Sometimes I agree and others not. I have a few reservations about BSF and Revalations next year. I don’t feel mad at some of the questions but I wonder what they are intending or implying. . I want to learn and be a productive Christian. This is where your agrument for the notes prior to a lesson rings true for me. I wonder if knowing something would change my perception. I was so lost in Isaiah. It is one I want to repeat. I could not grasp it the way I now know of Genesis, Moses, Acts,Matthew and John. (I only just started following you last spring or so) Thanks for your thoughts and inspiration.

9. Becky says:

I have no problem with your expressing your opinion on a question. Sometimes I see no purpose to the question, but I answer it anyways. I do like to check my answers with yours. Some times you have an insight I do not have and I like that. People need to just chill…..everyone is entitle to a Christlike opinion. They may not agree with it, but even commentators have different insight on questions sometime….

10. R Scott says:

I SO appreciate your honesty. Very frequently my responses to questions mirror yours, so when I read your honest expressions, I feel relief. BSF is a fantastic tool, and has completely changed how I study His word. Nevertheless, the questions are written by HUMANS. I believe that God’s word is sufficient in itself, and BSF doesn’t necessarily need to inject their own inferences and implications (and sometimes seemingly random cross-references); those can be dangerous, as they are motivated by HUMAN intent. Grumbling against silly questions is NOT the same as grumbling against God.

Thank you and God bless you for all the time and energy and thought you put into what you do for those of us who read your blog!