BSF Study Questions The Life of Moses Lesson 17, Day 2: Leviticus 25:1-7

Introductory Note:  I am not sure why we are skipping Leviticus 24 except that it’s the passage that says “an eye for eye, a tooth for tooth”, which if there’s any passage in Scripture more misunderstood, it’s this one; so why BSF if shying away from it, I don’t know.  If you have a chance, read it.  It’s very short and since it is often quoted, it’s good to know.

Summary of passage:  The Lord decrees to Moses that once they enter the Promised Land, the land is to be sown for 6 years and then have a year of rest and all that is yielded in that year of rest belongs to the people.

3a)  When they enter the Promised Land

b)  For 6 years, the Israelites are to sow their fields but he seventh year is to be a year of rest where no crops are sown or harvested and whatever the land yields during the seventh year will be food for the people and their animals.

c)  Personal Question.  My answer:  Not sure.  I think they would have been scared because they would have to be totally dependent on God to provide food for that year.  The people however would have been free to rest and perhaps do other things for God’s glory in all that spare time they would have.

4a)  Personal Question.  My answer:  The 7th year was also a year for canceling debts, freeing slaves, and giving generously to the poor.  I think the year was to strengthen the faith of God’s people and free up time to think more about others instead of concentrating on survival.

b)  They had to be totally dependent on God to provide all their food during the six years and then some to last for the seventh year.

c)  Personal Question.  My answer:  Depending on God for a whole year I think is a lot different than one day a week so in my opinion this question is a bit of a stretch.  For me, my answer is not sure.  Increasing our faith in God’s provision for us should not be relegated to one day a week but should be constantly every day of the year.  Sundays are just like every other day for me:  being with God, reading His word, praying, living His example, and spreading His light.  If I do this, then my faith in His provision can’t help but grow.

Conclusions:  This passage could have been covered with just one question, three parts, instead of two questions, six parts.  I think we all got the point:  rely on God for your provision.  Period.

End Notes:  Deuteronomy 31:9-13 speaks of in this year how the people will assemble to listen and learn God’s laws.  Hence, this year was to allow time for the Israelites to study and learn God’s laws even deeper and for the children to know God’s laws.

This also demonstrated how the land belonged to God, not the people, and how God dictated its use.  It was a testimony of dependence on God.  The people didn’t just say they depended on God; they showed they did.

It’s also what many farmers do today to allow the nutrients to return to the soil or they do this with crop rotation as well.

Leviticus 26:3 again tells the people to obey God’s laws.  Yet we learn in 2 Chronicles 36:20-21 that the Israelites did not allow the land to lay fallow and thus God forced them to allow the land to lay fallow when they were carried off into captivity by the Babylonians.

The Israelites have found ways around this law.  They have rented out their land and allowed Gentiles to farm it for that year and they took a share as payment, thus circumnavigating the law.  However, I don’t think God sees it this way.

9 comments on “BSF Study Questions The Life of Moses Lesson 17, Day 2: Leviticus 25:1-7

1. Tammy says:

I thought We read Leviticus 24 at the end of lesson 14.

2. everlyne imbosa says:

Leviticus 25:1-7 God is God of plan,he had already put the life of the people of Israelite s before the promised land, – Cultivating land for six years and resting the seventh year, God wanted to show that Israel to learn to lean on him alone and not man,he wanted to move their minds away from the life of slavery that they had lived in Egypt.God wanted them to know Israel is a chosen nation & peculiar people. – God wanted them to know that as he had been providing on their way to the promised land,he can still do it even as they are in the land. – God wanted the people of Israel to enjoy the goodness of the promised land.

In comparison, you find that our life today, everything seems not enough the lands not enough,even as they tilt daily seems not enough. – But what I know for one to be satisfied with everything he or she is to be in spirit

3. Rungirl42 says:

I know you don’t cover the notes but I noticed in the notes for Lesson 16, The Ark of the Covenant says the wings of the cherubim went BACKWARD and upward. That would mean the angels were not facing each other right? (Ex 25:20) they were to face each other. Just wondering what your thoughts were on it. I found it to be interesting since I’ve never got that before.

• Julia says:

Good observation by Rungirl above. If there is any apparent conflict, typo, difference, etc. between what a commentary by man states vs. the Word of God, then I always let the Bible be the true arbitrator. As you mentioned, Exodus 25:20 states the 2 winged cherubim faced each other with wings outstretched upward toward each other. To me, when the BSF notes for Lesson 16 p.3 state the wings “went backward and upward”, I took it to mean the wings were turned inside out but facing and touching each other, much like a butterfly stroke in swimming.

Sorry, Rungirl, hadn’t read the notes till just now. The angels are definitely facing each other as Scripture states. The problem is we in the 21st century have no idea what exactly the Ark and the atonement cover looked like. All we have to go on is the description God gives as to how it should look. If you google “picture of ark and atonement cover” you will see dozens of different depictions by artists. We just don’t know.

Thus, since we don’t know, go with Scripture. Nowhere does it say “backward” in the Bible. This may be a mistake (Yes, BSF does make mistakes occasionally but they are few and far between).

In essence, I’m not sure either what BSF means by “backward and upward”. Wings are by nature attached to the back of an angel so they could have meant the wings were coming out of their backs and arching upward to almost touching.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help! I’m going with the coming out of the back and arching upward explanation. It just wasn’t explained very well in the notes.

4. Julia says:

AtoZMom states in her end notes, near the end of her discussion of the Second Day questions, that we learn in 2 Chronicles 36:20-21 that Israel failed to keep the Sabbath years which actually gives us the answer to Question 3(c). Their faith apparently in trusting God to provide was too weak for them to continue keeping God’s command to observe the sabbatical years. Actually they failed to keep 70 sabbatical years over the 490 years and that is why they were exiled and in captivity for 70 years as mentioned in the 2 Chronicles passage, before God allowed them to return from exile as covered in the book of Ezra. Jeremiah 25:11 also mentions that Israel will serve 70 years in Babylonian captivity. God has a purpose in all that He does, and we can see the consequences of disobedience by Israel in not keeping the sabbatical years as commanded by the Lord. We can be grateful today that under the “Church Age of Grace”, God shows us mercy and grace rather than His quick punishment for disobedience. Israel’s covenant was a conditional covenant in that “If” they obeyed, “then” God would shower them with blessings. Disobedience then meant a curse or a punishment. That is how Israel lived under the Mosiac Law. Our Lord Jesus took the curse of the law and paid a debt He didn’t owe, because we owed such a huge sin debt that we couldn’t possibly pay, and then gave us the free gift of eternal life if we believe in Him. That is truly Amazing Grace which is how we are living today, eagerly waiting for His Second Coming which we will study in BSF next year with the book of Revelation!

5. R Scott says:

I had a difficult time with 4.c. *I* don’t increase my faith, GOD does: “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this is NOT from yourselves, it is the GIFT of GOD – not by works, so that no one can boast.” Eph. 2:8-9

• Julia says:

Actually, R Scott we do increase our faith as we walk daily with Jesus. You are correct in that our salvation is entirely done by God’s grace THROUGH faith. However, after our initial regeneration by God, then we grow daily in our faith as empowered by the indwelling Holy Spirit. Here are some of the ways you can tell if you are growing in your faith: (1) Growing hunger for God to know Him more intimately thru talking to Him (2) Increasing desire to know the truth of God’s word thru Bible study and daily reading of His word (3) Greater awareness and sensitivity to sin in our life (4) A decreasing desire for the world system. Do we hunger more for the world’s information system or in God’s revealed truth in His word (5) You are loving and forgiving others no matter what they do (6) Increasing desire to obey God (7) Faith increasing when God sends us tests and challenges and we trust Him more and depend more on Him than in ourselves. These are just barometers of spiritual growth as our faith matures as we are led and walk in the power of the Holy Spirit. You are correct that you first must have salvation which is ALL of God, and then we start our sanctification process of growing in the faith as the Lord leads us. Increasing our faith is a journey that we start after God gives us His great gift of grace, eternal life with Him, and a personal relationship with the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

• R Scott says:

My point was not that we don’t grow as Christians, my point was that GOD increases our faith, NOT us; otherwise we could point proudly to our increased faith and claim responsibility. That’s the whole point of that verse. All the items you listed are God’s work in us to refine us, not anything we do by ourselves.