BSF Study Questions The Life of Moses Lesson 23, Day 2: Numbers 21:1-3

Summary of passage:  The Canaanite king of Arad attacked the Israelites and captured some.  The Israelites prayed for God to help them destroy these people, which the Lord granted, and the place was named Hormah.

3a)  Personal Question.  My answer:  I expected them to do just this:  pray first and then do the Lord’s will because I think they would have learned their lesson from Numbers 14:41-45.

b)  The Lord listened and granted their request.

c)  Personal Question.  My answer:  Not sure.  I like to think I am depending on Him.  And I’m not for sure what if any situation in my life needs to be reversed at the moment.

Conclusions:  Sorely disappointed in this lesson.  I got nothing out of these 3 verses and the questions were lackluster.  I’m pretty sure BSF is looking for an answer to 3a to be:  Well, I expected them to just fight back without the Lord’s guidance.  Yet we have seen over and over again here the people’s turnarounds from sin to Him.  Thus, I expect the people to go to God first as I expect all Christians to do.

End Notes:  This was the exact same place I referenced in 3a–Hormah.  First, the Israelites were defeated there and now the Lord grants them victory when He is with them this time.  This would have been a much better question here for this section.

Map of Arad:  http://fgcp.org/system/files/images/Promise-Land-Era.jpg

Map of Hormah and the Route in Edom:  http://www.biblenews1.com/maps/Exodus.jpg

By totally destroying a city, the Israelites are turning it completely over to God.  This would ensure no one else could use this land; hence, dedicating it to the Lord.  This was one of the most sacrificial offerings to God because the land become His once again.

Expect to see more of the same once again of the Israelites to God as they proceed to the Promised Land:  faith and unfaith.

7 comments on “BSF Study Questions The Life of Moses Lesson 23, Day 2: Numbers 21:1-3

1. […]  Like Day 2, this lesson did nothing for me.  The questions were ones we’ve already seen in previous […]

2. KIMS says:

I think one of reasons that BSF doesn’t want an online class because there will be people just like you that want to determine if God’s word is “lackluster” (Life of Moses, Lesson 23, Day 2). Almost all of your lessons reflect some type of negative against BSF. These lessons took people years to compile and do their best to help all people to attend BSF; all different cultures; all different economic groups; all different gender; all different levels of Bible studying etc. You always put Personal on questions that you deem as personal and BSF does not deem as Personal. BSF’s expectations about our responses are not set in stone…they want us to reveal what the Lord helped us with during our study; not a specific answer. Questions that are fact questions will be the same but other questions are more higher level thinking on our part.

Your words:
    “Sorely disappointed in this lesson. I got nothing out of these 3 verses and the questions were lackluster. I’m pretty sure BSF is looking for an answer to 3a to be: Well, I expected them to just fight back without the Lord’s guidance. Yet we have seen over and over again here the people’s turnarounds from sin to Him. Thus, I expect the people to go to God first as I expect all Christians to do.”

If you read this to yourself it has a tone of arrogance. Your responses to some of these questions show that you have put little thought into it. I hope when you share your answers in your class discussion that you do not have this same type of tone.If so your attitude could be one of those things that hamper someone from coming to the Lord or helping to increase their walk with God.

• Julia says:

To KIMS on the above note: I don’t need to defend AtoZ, as she is quite capable of doing it herself if she chooses, but I will make a few general comments. #1 AtoZ did not write that God’s word is “lackluster”, but it is some of the questions that are lackluster! That is a true statement, especially some of the personal type questions. Most of the BSF questions and studies are extremely helpful, but like all human leaders and organizations, not all questions are helpful to us. That is OK and expected as I realize that it is very difficult to make these lessons when they are dealing with such a diverse group as you so mentioned above. #2 I, like you and many others including AtoZ, do appreciate all that BSF does to give us Biblical insights. I am sure you have read AtoZ comments in her Jan. 23 post of how valuable BSF is to her. Also there were 30 comments by her readers on all the benefits of BSF in their lives. #3 BSF is not perfect, as none of us are, and they can improve their already excellent program by following some of the suggestions made in the 50 comments listed on her post of Jan. 30. #4 This is HER website and she has willingly given up much of her time to help us with the Bible lessons. I don’t always agree with her answers, her comments, etc. but it is HER site, and I appreciate her efforts to assist me and many others through the years that she has written on her site. I disagree with your comment that “she has put little thought into it” as she has been writing and helping us for many years! It is difficult to daily read, write, and compose answers to difficult Bible and faith questions and raise a family like she has done. She has the freedom and right to give her opinions of whether she likes/dislikes a lesson, a stated question by BSF, or whatever else she wants to post. You and I, as her GUESTS to her site, have been INVITED to also state our ideas and replies which we have so done. AtoZ has stated her personal ideas regarding how BSF could improve, just like 50 others made their comments known back in Jan-Feb. You are free to like, dislike, use, not use, make comments, etc. on her site, BUT, as for me and most of us on her blog site, I sincerely appreciate her hard work to give me additional assistance in studying the infallible, inerrant Word of God.

Thank you, Julia. I have said the same thing too many times to count and usually don’t respond to criticism any more. Thus, I appreciate you doing it for me!

God bless!

• Doreen Ong says:

Well said KIMS. She sounds too arrogant. No humility at all

3. mindaleigh says:

Julia, I agree with your comments 100%%. I ‘d also like to point out that BSF used to better identify “personal”questions. Leaders had to ask for volunteers to respond to those questions. Now questions are not labeled “personal”, so leaders can call on anyone fir the answer. However, once in BSF long enough, you can recognize personal questions. Whether they are labeled as such, they are still personal and the OPINION of the writer.
    Finally, similar to AtoZMom, I thought this entire lesson was exceptionally easy. Sort of like a preparation for Spring Break.

4. Rebecca Scott says:

Well said, Julia, well said!