BSF Study Questions Revelation Lesson 7, Day 4: Romans 11

Summary of passage:  God has preserved a remnant by grace alone.  Sadly, a lot of Jews did not accept Jesus.  Hence, God turned to the Gentiles, allowed them to be a part of the remnant by grace in hopes of saving His people (the Jews) for eternity.  Once the Gentiles have come to God, all of Israel will be saved as well.

8 )  God sent Jesus to save His people, the Jews, first and then He opened it up to the Gentiles–mainly to make the Jews jealous so all Jews will accept Christ.

9a)  The root is the Jews.  The broken branches and wild shoot are the Gentiles.

b)  Even those who fall, reject Him, and would otherwise be cut off, God grafts them in again.  He gives them chances to come to Him again and repent.  He provides the way–Jesus.

10)  Personal Question.  My answer:  By offering me the will to believe and accept Jesus.  I try to lead the life He has for me.

Conclusions:  Good study on history of Jews.  I remember when we studied Isaiah how important the Jews are to God.  They will always be first in His heart and He will always be striving to save all of them.  As a Gentile, it gives me more humbleness and awe that I’m included in His plan.

I can see how it would be extremely difficult for first century Jews to accept Jesus.  For millennium, it had always been them and God.  Even though He promised a Savior, they envisioned a ruler–not God’s son.  For us, it’s a bit easier to accept; we haven’t lived our own life with only God as their guide.

This lesson compliments yesterday’s lesson nicely.  Yesterday, we see Peter converting the first Jews to Jesus and promising the Holy Spirit for all whom God calls.  Today, we see Paul explain why God has called the Gentiles and how they receive God’s Spirit as well.

End Notes:  Because the Jews rejected Jesus (not all but a vast majority), it caused the word to go out to the Gentiles and open that pathway.  Had the Jews accepted Jesus as the Savior, perhaps they would have remained as they had in OT days:  a nation apart and everyone else infidels.

Instead of making Israel jealous, Christians treated them with malice, scorn, jealousy, and persecution.

Israel is the roots, the base, the support, the foundation of the branches, the Gentiles.

Once all the Gentiles are brought in, Israel as a nation will accept Jesus (there will always be individuals whose hard is hardened and will not heed God’s call–both Jew and Gentile).  This is a sign of the End Times.  Israel will be converted en masse before Jesus’ Second Coming (Matthew 23:39, Zechariah 12:10-11).

God’s call is irrevocable.  He will not give up nor leave behind His people (both Jews and Gentiles).

Once again, the evidence there is only one God is overwhelming.  Man couldn’t possibly have thought up Israel, the church, Jesus, etc.  It is all by Him and for Him and Paul praises God’s omniscience here.

8 comments on “BSF Study Questions Revelation Lesson 7, Day 4: Romans 11

1. Lissette says:

I love Romans 11 but I thought we were studying Revelations.

God can be trusted to keep His unconditional promises to the Jews..

2. Lissette says:

Also have to add that I love your comment:

“Once again, the evidence there is only one God is overwhelming. Man couldn’t possibly have thought up Israel, the church, Jesus, etc. It is all by Him and for Him and Paul praises God’s omniscience here”

We need to hear that over and over again. The bible is such a miracle. We just need to read it with an open mind and seek.

3. Julia says:

Brief comment on Question 9 (a). The Olive Tree in the Bible usually represents the nation Israel. (Hos 14:5-6). I agree with AtoZ that the root represents God’s divine blessings upon the Jews and Israel thru Abraham and the Patriarchs, and eventually to all believers. (Gen 15:1-6) The natural branches would be the Jews and the nation of Israel. Then, I feel that the branches that were broken off and cut off represents unbelieving Israel and the Jews who rejected Jesus. (Rom 11:17, 20) (Jer 11: 16) After the rejection of their Messiah, God grafted in the wild shoot, which were the Gentiles, into the Olive Tree. Therefore, to me the broken branches represents the unbelieving Jews and not the Gentiles. The Gentiles are the grafted wild shoot. The root (God’s divine blessings thru the Jewish nation) provides nourishment to all the branches, both natural and wild. Believing Gentiles are the “seed” of Abraham by faith (Gal 3:7-9, 29) grafted in by God’s grace and mercy. There are differences in opinion on this interesting but difficult passage in Romans.

4. Jdub says:

Romans 11 – what a great chapter of His invitation to all people. Though Israel is the apple of His eye (Zech. 2:8) and God’s wife (referenced in Hosea), we Gentiles have always been invited to be in the fold.

In Exodus you see some of the Egyptians fleeing with the Jews when they left Egypt because they too believed in the God of Abraham, Rahab being grafted in as she was King David’s great-grandmother, and then there’s Ruth, a Moabite ( a descendant of Lot’s) who followed Naomi back to her homeland because she too, Ruth (King David’s grandmother), believed in the God of Abraham.

HE is so gracious to offer Himself to all people (John 3:16). It is amazing that He would use the Gentiles in hopes of making the Jewish people jealous to give them the desire to be back in His fold.

I was a little confused on question 9(a) as I always thought Jesus was the Root and we are the branches (believers).

Also, I’m thinking maybe BSF wants us to study about the Holy Spirit before we start reading about John being in the Spirit in Revelation 4. I can’t wait to study all the visions he receives but we’ll see there’s only One Revelation, One Jesus Christ, not other revelations into thinking there’s more than one way into His kingdom.

Thank you for your perspective in this study. I am new to the group and have thouroughly enjoyed reading your perspective to the questions in this study.

5. CMCS says:

Thanks to all of the comments above. I use this blog as a back-up to my own questions, to read different perspectives and especially when I am *stuck* on an answer.

Ha! Question 9a. I read AtoZ comment, thought.. hmm, guess I am wrong.. then Julia had the same answers as me for the branches/wild shoot. Then Jdud had the same answer as me for the root. Hmmm.
    I love this forum as a way to calmly discuss our different perspectives.

I don’t always agree with BSF conclusions, nor AtoZ’s (though I love her deep study into the background and give her answers a good *weight* knowing she has deeper knowledge than me), but I am always learning and considering a new idea.

Thanks again for all who contribute.

6. Carly says:

8a ” He opened it up to the Gentiles–mainly to make the Jews jealous so all Jews will accept Christ.” Really? you think He did that to make the Jews jealous? That seems unlike His character. I thougth you were joking when I first read that comment.

Carly, it’s in the Word:

Romans 10:19: “”I will make you envious by those who are not a nation; I will make you angry by a nation that has no understanding.” This is Moses speaking here. Paul is quoting him from Deut 32:21.

Romans 11:11: “Again I ask: Did they stumble so as to fall beyond recovery? Not at all! Rather, because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles to make Israel envious.”

Romans 11: 14: “in the hope that I may somehow arouse my own people to envy and save some of them.”

So, yes, I do think God extended His grace to us Gentiles to make the Jews jealous and to come to Him. God’s purpose is to save the Jews FIRST and we (as Gentiles which is most of us) are SECOND. It’s very humbling to accept but I am just grateful I am included. I don’t care in what order or what priority. “First for the Jews, then for the Gentile.” Romans 1:16

We spoke last year in the study of Moses what jealous actually means. Webster’s says jealous is “intolerant of rivalry or unfaithfulness; disposed to suspect rivalry or unfaithfulness; hostile towards a rival or one believed to enjoy an advantage; vigilant in guarding a possession.”

God is described in the Bible as jealous for His people. (Joel 2:18 God is jealous for his land.) Debt 32:21 “They made me (God) jealous by what is no god.”

God is a jealous God. “For the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God” (Exodus 34:14).

God is jealous for me. And for that I am grateful. Remember, we are made in God’s image. If God feels jealousy, why wouldn’t we? If God is jealous, why can’t we be? Just in the right ways.

When a person is jealous or envious he is saying, “You have something that I want. You have something very good which I don’t have!” Gentiles now have blessings which the Jewish people should possess but they forfeited because of unbelief in Christ as Savior, blessings which the church (made up mostly of Gentiles) now possesses.

I believe God loves us so much He will use any means necessary to bring His people (especially the Jews, His chosen people) to Him. And being God, He can do whatever He wants and use whatever means He wants.

Jealousy today has a negative connotation. 2000 years ago it was a positive, a motivator for change. It is today as well, but we’ve lost the true meaning. People use “jealous” when they mean “covet”, which is to desire what belongs to another inordinately or culpably, which is negative and which God says not to do. Also, coveting physical possessions is so prominent in today’s society. Hence, the negativity surrounding this word.

Hope that helps!