BSF Study Questions Revelation Lesson 17, Day 3: Revelation 13:7-10

Summary of passage:  The beast was given power and authority over the saints and every tribe, people, language, and nation.  All non-believers will worship the beast.

6)  “He was given power to make war against the saints and to conquer them.  And he was given authority over every tribe, people, language, and nation.”  All non-believers worshiped the beast (“all whose names have not been written in the book of life belonging to the Lamb that was slain from the creation of the world”).

7)  Part personal Question.  My answer:  It is a book or a listing of all of those who have accepted Jesus as the Son of God and believe he died for our sins and cleansed us of sin thereby being justified and who will then live with God forever in heaven until Jesus comes again and we dwell on earth once more. Yes because I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and repented of my sin.

More Bible Passages and explanation HERE

8a)  John 15:18-27:  The world hates us because they hate Jesus and there’s nothing we can do about it. However, they are guilty of sin and with the power of the Holy Spirit, we are to stay true to our testimony about Jesus.

Romans 15:4-5:  God gives us endurance and encouragement through the Holy Spirit and through His word so that we may glorify God with one heart and mouth (verse 6).

2 Corinthians 6:4-10:  Through our example including out endurance, patience, kindness, truth, genuineness, sorrow, and joy we commend ourselves and not put any stumbling block in anyone’s path (verse 3).

Colossians 1:9-14:  God gives us strength to have great endurance and patience and to live a life worthy of the Lord and please Him in every way and to know His will in our lives.

1 Timothy 6:11-12:  We should flee from the world’s teachings and pursue instead righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness.  To fight the good fight of the faithful and take hold of eternal life.

b)  Personal Question.  My answer:  If I didn’t have God, I would have no life, no ambition, no drive, no will and I truly don’t know how unbelievers make it in this world without Him.  He holds me up when all I want to do is fall.  He catches me when I do fall and stands me back up.  Sometimes He puts one foot in front of the other for me when I have no will of my own to do so.  He has done it all through all things (His word, power, Holy Spirit).  I have done nothing.

Conclusions:  Was sorely missing my favorite endurance passage in 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 where we need to run in such a way as to get the prize and run with perseverance the race marked out for us (Hebrews 12:1).

I love how all of this is God’s plan since the creation of the world.  I love the comfort from this.  He’s in control and I don’t have to be.  I lean on Him and His strength and He does the rest.  Great lesson.  Great reminder on enduring with His power.

End Notes:  We are told in Revelation 12:17 that the dragon is gunning for us–believers.  Here, we see “war” will come in the form of the beast.  Just who are the saints?  It depends on which view of the millennium you hold.   Pre-tribulationists believe these saints are God’s people who come to Christ after the church has been raptured. Post-tribulationists believe these saints are God’s people who are on the earth before the final rapture, including what we think of today as the “church.”

In the Roman empire, all were required to offer up a pinch of incense to the emperor and declare loyalty to him, declaring Caesar Lord.  This is what the end dictator will do.  It’s not hard to imagine when one things of Hitler, Stalin, or Mao.

The Book of Life is all God’s redeemed.  The rest face the lake of fire (Revelation 20:15).

“The Lamb that was slain from the creation of the world” reminds us that all of this is God’s plan.  He planned Jesus’ death to save us before we were even created!  He chose us before we were born (Ephesians 1:4), wrote our names down in the Book of Life before we were born (Revelation 17:8), and prepared heaven for us in advance (Matthew 25:34).  If that doesn’t give you comfort in this harried world, nothing will.

Here, other translations have “lead into captivity” in verse 10.  This conveys the idea that if you lead others to sin, you will be held accountable.  Personal responsibility still applies despite God’s having predetermined history.

Another meaning to verse 10:  It’s hopeless to fight against God.  If you are destined to go into captivity, you will go or if you are destined to die, you will.  The saints are to wait on God for this to happen.

6 comments on “BSF Study Questions Revelation Lesson 17, Day 3: Revelation 13:7-10

1. Lissette says:

I found this comment:

As already seen, humankind has just about come to the conclusion that the only solution to the problem of continuous war is a one world government.

That government will be the devil’s government, established during the Tribulation. In the midst of that time he will assume control himself and, as verse 7 tells us, will exercise power over “every tribe, people, language and nation.”

Satan’s “authority” will be all but unlimited, and almost everyone on earth will worship him. This is the very thing Satan has sought from the beginning, worship from angels and men. Of course, believers in Christ will not worship Antichrist, because they will have their names written “in the book of life of the Lamb.”

This book of life of the Lamb contains the names of all those who have called on the Lamb of God for salvation. Book of Life of the Lamb

2. Willow says:

Would appreciate further insight on question 6 …
    Why and how is the beast given authority over every person including believers during these last days? Why is he allowed to war against the saints (what purpose would it serve it we cannot be separated from God)? I thought we were marked by God for his protection and he puts limits on the devil. How can he conquer us if God already won the battle with Jesus and in the future with the demise of Satan?

I’m struggling with how how God and Satan relate (question from last week) and the application to me in my life today and in the end times.

I can’t put into perspective the idea of suffering for endurance would be helpful if we already know the non-believers are going to continue down that path of resistance.

***********************************
    I would also agree this study of Revelation has been a huge let down. Most of us came to BSF for depth and it is painfully missing in questions and lecture week to week. The repetition of elementary themes is annoying. The attempts to make the study more personal have missed the mark in the overall approach.

Like others, it has forced me to dig deeper on my own. Unfortunately, I think this puts many at risk of getting wrong information.

• Lissette says:

Wonderful question Willow. I wish other people reading this would try to answer.

Maybe among us we can get deeper into this study.

I think it all goes back to the Garden, Willow. When man sinned, it was all bets off. We chose through Free Will to disobey God and usher sin (and Satan) into this world. Punishment and suffering and war is what we deserve (we deserve death immediately but God in His mercy still desires a relationship with us).

Hence, the why is the Garden and man’s sins. The how is the temptation we must overcome every day and the choice to follow God or not.

Think of it this way: if we weren’t tempted or warred against, how would God know we are choosing Him? God desires us, yes. But we must desire Him back. Otherwise, it’s eternal hell. Why would be deserve heaven otherwise?

Satan does not conquer us. He conquers unbelievers, those who choose something other than God i.e. Satan. Because of Free Will, some of those non-believers (with our help hopefully and God’s) will choose God. This is what God hopes. Every single soul counts. Hence, we (believers) continue to suffer until the Second Coming, in hopes some will choose God. Besides, suffering is what we deserve. It’s the penalty (along with a physical death) for sin.

Does that make sense?

Separate in your mind God’s plan for believers and God’s plan for unbelievers as well. That might help. We all suffer. Believers suffer to bring in unbelievers. Unbelievers suffer because they don’t believe. We all suffer because of sin from the Garden that continues to plague man’s nature to this day until Jesus returns.

Coming up in Revelation, we’ll see that more clearly–God’s plan for believers versus unbelievers and it should make more sense to you.

Interesting answer to this same question here:http://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/19992/since-satan-was-defeated-by-jesus-on-the-cross-why-is-he-still-allowed-to-vex-u

3. Lissette says:

I loved reading the website you suggested. One of the things it said:

The Revelation is to be understood as a vision of the end times, including the final judgment. This will be after the Millennium. Satan is still loose; he will be “bound” during the Millennium.