Why People Do CrossFit

You will hear a ton of reasons to do CrossFit.  It’ll make you fitter.  You’ll get stronger.  You’ll get muscle definition.  It’s fun.  It’s not boring.  It’s challenging.  It’s something different every day.  No workout is ever the same.  All these are true and more.

But there’s something deeper, something more meaningful, something that drives CrossFitters to do it.

And it’s this:

The feeling one gets when they accomplish a move they thought impossible.

It’s an endorphin rush like nothing else.  It’s a high for all day.  It’s confidence unimaginable.  It’s plain awesome.

The first time I climbed a rope, I was on a high all day.  I never thought I’d ever be able to climb a rope.  It’s downright fun.  Where were ropes when I was a child?  I feel like I’m re-capturing something I should have done thirty years ago.

The first time I did a pull-up.  Wow was that awesome.  I’ve been working out for most of my life.  I’ve always wanted to do a pull-up.  I’ve never been able to do one even though I considered myself fit.  It was in a workout with 60 pull-ups and I did them all.  I also tore a callus in the process, a badge of honor in my book.  So, so worth it.

I signed up for the CrossFit Open, obviously with no chance of winning, but just to see how I measure up against everyone else.  I read the CrossFit Open Workout 16.1 and was worried and scared.  Can I do this?  Can I hold a 65 lb bar overhead and lunge?  And what about chest-to-bar pull-ups?  I’ve never done those.  I was nervous all day long.

Yesterday, during the Open Workout 16.1, I did a chest-to-bar pull-up for the first time.  I didn’t think I’d be able to do one.  I did 16!  I RX’d the Workout, including the 65 lb overhead lunges.  Was it pretty?  No.  Did I do it?  Hell, ya.  And I feel amazing for taking the time (even with a low score) and doing it.

This morning I’m sore.  REALLY sore.  Do I care?  Nope.  Not one bit.  Because I accomplished something yesterday.  Something I’d never thought I’d be able to do.  Something I thought only the pros could do.  And here I am doing it!

I’ve only been doing CrossFit for a little over 3 months.  I thought it’d take me a lot longer to do all of this.  The possibilities in my mind are endless.  Where will I be in a year?  The thought is exciting.  The possibilities are endless.

Did I do this alone?  No.  The coaches in my box are amazing.  They keep pushing.  Keep helping me.  Keep rooting me on.  All of that matters.  Yesterday, my coach said to me, “I’m making a commitment to you to work on your kip.  It will change your world.”  Those words are indescribable to me.  As much as I am committed to getting better, so are my coaches.  Having supporters in this world makes all the difference.

That’s why I do CrossFit.  For the indescribable feelings I get from accomplishing physical exercises I had never thought I’d ever be able to do.  For the true amazement at what my body can do.  Every time I do something previously undoable, I think how amazing this body is that God designed and gave us.  It definitely gives a whole new meaning and appreciation to your body as a temple (1 Corinthians 6:19-20) and how you are God’s.  When I accomplish something, I honor Him.  And that is truly powerful.

That’s why I practice.  Why I work hard at home and at the gym.  Why I get up at the butt-crack of dawn and haul my butt to the box.  Honoring God.  And honoring myself.  Giving me the self-confidence I need to face the heartaches of this world.  It’s truly a gift from God.

What’s next?  The sky’s the limit.  I’m aiming at double-unders (still my nemesis) and the Olympic moves which I struggle with all of them.

Who knows what the next 3 months will bring?  All I can say is this:  I can’t wait!

7 comments on “Why People Do CrossFit

1. lawrence stirtz says:

good for you go

2. Rungirl says:

That is awesome! I completed the 16.1 yesterday and I’m so sore but I feel like I accomplished a lot. Our box broke into groups because there were so many of us (and I attend the mommy timeframe). It was so cool to hear the coaches cheer us on and keep us going. I honestly thought I was going to throw up!
    I signed up only to see where I am. I did have to scale it but I RX’d the scaling and didn’t have the number of reps I wanted but it was fun! Looking forward to next Thursday to see what the wod will be!

Congratulations on the C2B! I have to jump up!

Awesome! My box broke it into 3 go at a time so no one was crowded or competing for space. I can’t wait for next week either! I’m hoping it’s more to my strengths–body weight!

3. Kay Womack says:

Wow, I am so in awe of what you are doing!!! I go to Curves 3-4 times a week and love it, also walk 30 or more mins. 4 times/week. For a woman who just turned 80 on Thursday, I feel good!!!
    Congratulations and I really admire your perseverance, and tenacity to keep going through the pain. Praising God all the way, AMEN!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

• Lissette says:

Hi Kay, I am also 80 and walk 1/2 mile everyday but it isn’t getting easier. I have been trying to get rid of 8 pounds and that is the hardest of all.
      I thank God everyday that I have no aches and pains. I see so many women our age that have so many health problems. I have concluded that the result of a healthy life is exercise and what you eat. Right now I am doing weight watchers but have not had any luck losing. I am 5’1″ and weigh 139 pounds which is overweight. I am so sick of vegetables and fruit :). I crave bread!! Once a month my husband and I go out to eat and don’t count points or calories, Then pay for it the rest of the week.

Atoz what you are doing is remarkable and will lead you to very healthy life.
      Kay you are inspiring. Congratulations to both of you.

Have you tried the Zone Diet? I do that. It’s basically a eating plan for life that balances out your hormone levels. I’ve been on that for 3 months now and have leaned out. It’s great cause you still get to eat good food. Just in certain quantities!

4. Lissette says:

Thank you Atoz. Will definitely look into it. I must say Weight Watchers does make you feel good but have not had any luck losing weight. Especially with that new program they have where fruits and veggies are 0 points and you are allowed 30 points. If I do 30 points I do not lose, A great maintenance diet though.