BSF Study Questions Revelation Lesson 23, Day 5: Revelation 18:21-24

Summary of passage:  An angel threw a millstone into the sea and said Babylon will be thrown down in the same way.  Nothing will be heard, found, or seen again.

11)  It would be thrown down never to be found again like a millstone in the sea.

12a)  Because believers live forever.

b)  Personal Question.  My answer:  Nothing is impossible with God (Luke 1:37) or with God all things are possible (Matthew 19:26).  Nothing is ever hopeless.

13)  Personal Question.  My answer:  The truths apply to all no matter the age.  Most importantly, talk about it.  Bring it up.  Start with BSF and how you do a bible study and invite them to join.  Point out to them where their treasure lies and when you see them chasing things of this world.  Be a good witness.  A good observer.  A good friend.  A good friend doesn’t at least mention God and heaven occasionally.

Conclusions:  I don’t think I can take another “give you hope” question for the rest of this year!  Did not need the references to question 12a.  Seems almost silly to ask.

End Notes:  Jeremiah 51:61-4 ties a scroll containing God’s judgment of ancient Babylon to a stone and throws it in the Euphrates and says “So will Babylon sink to rise no more.”  Jesus says as well in Matthew 18:6 that it is better to tie a millstone around your neck and hurl yourself in the sea than  to lead others to sin.

“Magic spell” in Greek is pharmakia which means to prepare drugs.  Sin was like a drug.

The fact the saints and prophets were killed is listed last because it’s the most important reason Babylon is judged.  When you mess with God’s people, you mess with God!

Conclusions to Revelation 18:  Be different than the world.  Live outside the world.  Don’t be a part of the world.  We have to live in it but we don’t have be of it.  Choose wisely or face judgment!

Conclusions to Lesson 23:  Good reminder of what is actually treasure and what isn’t and where our home is. Also, love how God’s judgment is for vindication of His people’s death.  Very, very encouraging in this broken world where life is not fair and we as Christians often face harshness.  God will judge.  Give it to Him to handle.  We have no need to cloud our life with anger and bitterness and strife.

10 comments on “BSF Study Questions Revelation Lesson 23, Day 5: Revelation 18:21-24

1. Julia says:

Couple of quick comments: Regarding Question #12: Both believers and unbelievers will live eternally. The difference is where eternity is spent! Believers will be in the presence of our Lord Jesus forever, and unfortunately unbelievers will get what they have desired: they will spend eternity separated from God living in a life of torment.
    Another comment: a minor typo by AtoZ on 12(b) the quote: “For nothing is impossible with God” is from Luke 1:37 not 1:27.
    I have appreciated, as I know all the other bloggers have, the hard work and time that AToZ has put into her lessons. This year’s questions have not led to many comments on her site as BSF has chosen to go with general, personal type questions, not the type that would lead to discussion on a blog site. Their notes have generally been good, but the questions have not really been addressed to “feed the sheep” or challenge the student. Our attendance at the meetings started with “standing room only” in the sanctuary, and it is obvious that many brothers/sisters have been disappointed, as the attendance has diminished drastically over the past several months! I am already looking forward to John next year as now I am just going thru the motions of finishing Revelation.

Ditto and thanks for the correction!

• Barb says:

I, too, am going through the motions with this study. I feel sad about that. I will not be doing John next year. Our TL announced last week that the lessons for John “have been revised” and every time I hear that I know it spells disaster for BSF. You can look forward to more of the same repetitious personal questions next year. Your comment about the drastic drop in attendance doesn’t surprise me. I’d be gone, too, except for the fact that I have the desire to complete all of the BSF studies.

• Sweet Mama says:

Are you serious? I will resign as a leader if John has been revised to be in alignment with this frustratingly disappointing year of Revelation. I can’t take another year of leadership like this. I no longer beg my group to attend lecture. It’s stretched out to an hour of our TL basically “lecturing” on the notes. My women work outside the home. They don’t have time to waste an hour listening to someone read the same material that is in the notes. I have less than four or five who bother staying. Our lecture attendance has never been lower. Basically the only people in there are the most elderly of the retirees and the moms of children in the program. I’m grateful I did John before this revision of Mrs. Johnson’s study. The only reason my group is still intact with all my enrollees is that I have WORKED 20 hours a week contacting, emailing, texting, and praying over them and with them and getting them to bond with each other. The only reason I’ve been able to do that is I work part time, my husband travels, and my kids are grown and we just changed churches after 18 years so I haven’t had the church commitments and teaching responsibilities I would normally have had. I want to cry just reading this. I really do. I’m sick.

I, too, have been told by our TL that this John study has been revised “in light of” the study of Revelation (what light she’s talking about, I’m unsure).

I have not done John before, but am praying it’s not like Revelation.

• Joe Zavada says:

Julia–I agree with your observations about BSF’s approach to Revelation Study. I think the problem is that the current group of BSF directors may see the fellowship as a proselytizing entity rather than a fellowship where we both teach and learn together guided by the Holy Spirit and our personal spiritual experiences. According to recent News reports, many Christians–especially young adults–are parting company with the Churches, even those offering “contemporary worship” services. I think the reason is that the more educated a person becomes, the less they are captivated by the “I believe so I am saved and going to heaven” claim. It is not that they are losing faith in God. It is that they want to know more about this God they hear about in church and from their parents. They ask questions like: “If Jesus saved the everyone when he died on the cross and rose from the dead, why didn’t he just assume his kingship then? Why does the world have to go through so many trials and tribulations waiting on His Return?” and “What if I don’t like this Kingdom of Heaven place when I get there? Can I opt out?” The Book of Revelation is ideal for discussing questions like these in the safe environment offered by BSF. However, the tendency to turn BSF into a “now that you realize you are going to hell if you don’t believe how are you going to change your life” rally is the surest way to turn these young adults off. It is also disingenuous to our belief in the role of the Holy Spirit in conversion and transformation. God can. We can’t. So why are we reluctant to let God be God.
      I commend AtoZMom for pointing this out in her comments on the usefulness of some questions. Given all the work she does to support the BSF process, I think she has earned the right to question practices she feels are straying from the intent of Audrey Wetherell Johnson.

• Sweet Mama says:

I really do think you nailed it. I couldn’t wrap my head around this. My leader friends and I have wondering privately and praying to understand. It’s been a frustrating year. You speak truth.

2. Frederic Mokren says:

“I don’t think I can take another “give you hope” question for the rest of this year!”

Ha ha ha. I’ve been aware of this blog for some time, but I’ve not really taken the time to check it out, but this morning I found myself feeling disappointed by the repetition and inanity of these questions. I’m glad I’m not the only one.

It’s like they’ve copied and pasted the same question every week.

3. Tracy says:

I’m loving this study. I see God’s mercy, faithfulness and relentless grace for us all over Revelation. Even in the “simple” questions, their is depth for truly examining my heart. Yes, the answers are obvious, but does my life, my walk reflect that I’m choosing God’s way or my flesh. Thank you for this blog, it challenges me to go deeper!

4. […] same question:  Lesson 26 Day 2 & 3, Lesson 23 Day 5, Lesson 19 Day 3, Lesson 7 Day 2, Lesson 13 Day 5, and Lesson 15 Day […]