BSF Study Questions Revelation Lesson 25, Day 5: Revelation 20:1-10

Summary of passage:  An angel bound Satan in chains and threw him into the Abyss (hell) for 1000 years after which time he will be set free for a short time.  John sees thrones where those given authority to judge are seated.  He sees the souls of the martyrs who died for Jesus alive and reigning for 1000 years during the first resurrection.  The rest did not come to life. Blessed are these.  After the 1000 years, Satan will be released and will go out to deceive the nations and gather Gog and Magog for battle.  There will be a huge number of them. God however threw fire down from heaven to destroy them and threw the devil into the lake of burning sulfur to be tormented for eternity.

11a)  Satan will be bound for 1000 years to keep him from deceiving the nations.  Then Satan will be released for a short time to go out and deceive the nations for the last time.  They surround Jerusalem but God sends fire down to destroy the people and hurl the devil into a lake of burning sulfur for all of eternity.

b)  Scholars presume it is God who throws fire down from heaven and devours all the rebellious people and throws the devil into the lake of burning sulfur forever.

c)  Part personal question.  My answer:  We will live forever and rule with Christ by his side as subordinates.  Complacent is a Latin word meaning “very pleased.”  It means, “marked by self-satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual dangers or deficiencies.”  Smug.  Feeling so satisfied with your own abilities or situation that you feel you don’t need to try harder.

To be honest, this passage does the opposite.  I do feel complacent because I know where I’m going.  I think this would be a better question asked in relation to nonbelievers:  how can we not be complacent in relation to the urgency to evangelize.

However, that being said, we shouldn’t be so complacent with our eternal salvation that we fall into sin and have no regard for God, His laws, or His people.  We are still to be godly here on earth as much as humanly possible.  Eternal salvation is not an excuse for sin.

12)  Beautiful and heavenly.  Israel will be the leading nation on earth (Isaiah 2:1-3, Ezekiel 17:22-24). Jesus will reign (Isaiah 2:1-5; 9:7; Zechariah 14:9) with no war (Isaiah 2:1-5). King David will rule over Israel (Isaiah 55:3-5, Jeremiah 30:4-11, Ezekiel 34:23-31, Ezekiel 37:21-28, Hosea 3:5). Israel will be blessed (Amos 9:11-15; Isaiah 62:2-3) and the temple will be restored (Ezekiel 40-48, Ezekiel 37:26-28, Amos 9:11, Ezekiel 20:39-44). Saints will have jobs Luke 19:11-27, Revelation 20:4-6, Revelation 2:26-28; 3:12,22, 1 Corinthians 6:2-3). God will be number one (Zechariah 13:1-9). There will be no sickness nor disease (Isaiah 29:18).

Christ will reign on earth without opposition, and His kingdom will be characterized by righteousness, peace, and love (Isaiah 2:3-4; 11:3-5; Daniel 7:14; Zechariah 14:9).

Conclusions:  Good questions to sum up the passage.  Question 11c would have been better with my slant.  Am hoping the lecture will bring it all together.  Great passage all Christians should study:  the final defeat of Satan.  We need to keep this in mind when we are under attack and see no way out.  God is there–always–in control and limiting Satan.  Satan will pay the ultimate price for his behavior.  Cling to God.  He never fails.

End Notes:  See End Notes for Day 2, Day 3, and Day 4.

Conclusions to Lesson 25:  Nothing here below the superficial.  Sad for me.  Really sad.  I started with Isaiah and the difference in substance between then and now (5 years) is overwhelming.  I had hoped BSF would do more of the leg work for me because all of this that you read takes hours and hours on my end.  Which is fine.  But at times it’s frustrating.

I have started skipping lectures because our teaching leader says the same things over and over again.  She drags out a 20 minute lecture to 45 and I’m left surfing the Internet on my phone.  And what she says is all I know because I’ve done all of this work.  Nothing is new.  Even the notes are lackluster.  I expected an in-depth study of eschatology.  Instead, I’ve found an in-depth study of opinion questions and “you” s.  I’m tired of focusing on me.  Can I focus on God please for at least these 2 hours during my BSF class?

22 comments on “BSF Study Questions Revelation Lesson 25, Day 5: Revelation 20:1-10

1. Darlene says:

Thank you for voicing the frustration so many of us are feeling. Reading the notes and doing the lessons is something I dread each week. I never had this experience with BSF before. I am so discouraged I don’t really want to do John next year. I did the John study years ago and I am worried that it is now a watered down version of what it used to be. BSF was started to be an in depth study that digs deeply into God’s Word. It Is losing its way. Thank you for all your hard work this year. Your blog has been my go to place to find the information I was longing for to help me understand this amazing book.

• Tammy says:

I did John years ago too and loved it! However, now I’m concerned it will be rewritten and watered down.

• Rhett says:

I remind myself that not everyone has had the bible study opportunities that I’ve had. I still think the notes are good & look forward to them. Even when I’m grousing about repetitive personal questions, I am amazed/blessed by the responses in my small group. Continues to show me God knows more than me! That said, I hope that the study of John won’t have so many of the same personal questions. Some to help us remember our state are honestly needed. We get to thinking how good we are and need to remember we are sinners saved by grace.

2. Emily says:

I too have been disappointed with this study. I can’t handle the repetive questions week after week. I joined BSF last year and loved the Life of Moses. Hoping John will be good next year.

Thank you for your work week after week. I enjoy your perpective and commentary!

3. CMCS says:

Have to agree with you on the lectures- ours goes verse by verse explaining each symbol.. with Or, Or, Or.. and no real substance beyond that. 45 min! I can’t leave as I have kids in the program.

Notes have hot/cold substance. My conflict with the notes is so often (and more this year, understandably).. is so much supposition/conjecture and then they build on their BSF opinion.
    (i,e: *maybe*, *probably*, *you can imagine*.. and then the next part builds on our imagination). I just cross them out. I don’t want to be lead to their conclusions. Being a *Stepford* Christian just isn’t me.

I have an awesome group leader and members. Awesome. We do make the most of some of the lame questions. I’ve been in better years of substance, but the fellowship, discussion this year has been one of the best (in 20 years!)

• barbarae says:

*Stepford* Christian–love it! My understanding is that the “ultimate” purpose of BSF is to train believers to study and interpret God’s Word on their own, which is why they discourage us from looking at commentaries until after the questions are answered. Unfortunately, the average person never makes the jump from Bible studies like BSF to reading and interpreting the Bible themselves because it appears too daunting and Bible studies like BSF almost, (unintentionally, I think), discourage it. The fact is that BSF discourages discussion and deeper thinking because of their obsession with answering every question every week and their goal of sticking to the clock. I understand their dilemma, but it gets very discouraging when I realize that I am really hesitant to bring up questions or comments because of my realization that BSF doesn’t want to: 1. “Waste time” and 2. “Offend anyone”. I do credit BSF with contributing (along with the work of the Holy Spirit) to my renewed desire to study God’s Word, but my goal has now become to “study how to study”, so that I can cease to depend on BSF to interpret it for me. God gave us many, many resources from which to learn, and I won’t neglect them, but I’d like to make my first step be a verse-by verse self-study. My prayer is that I can someday lead a study in my church or elsewhere that will teach other women how to do this. Pray for me!

• Joe says:

I agree with your assessment of BSF objectives, but take issue with the kind of questions being asked this year as opposed to other years. I both enjoyed and learned a lot from last year’s study of The Life of Moses. The questions were aimed at getting us to see how all the spiritual concepts of the Old and New Testaments tie together and are all about Jesus. Some members of my group had insights on this that I would have missed had I tried to do this on my own. However, this year many of the questions are too personal and contribute nothing to understanding how the concepts fit the Old Testament. The personal questions tend to promote judgement of others spirituality. They remind me of the novice journalist interviewing Abe Lincoln’s wife after the shooting at Ford’s Theater, “Besides all that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?”

4. L. Brewster says:

I agree with the above. I am a group leader and my group members want to dig deeper and discuss but I have to steer them away from most of it for fear of offending others. I know it’s difficult since people and denominations have different interpretations but I am not enjoying this BSF study of Revelation as much as I was hoping. I enjoy BSF because it’s not a “fluffy” study of the Bible but I would have to disagree this year. I was hoping to really dig deep and learn so much about this book but I feel like we’ve discussed more personal and opinion questions rather than the meat of what Revelation has to offer. I am thankful for the study but disappointed in how BSF tackled it. Mixed emotions and thoughts.

5. laurakaychin says:

I’ve started doing next weeks lesson in lecture.
    My class gets a new leader next year, she subbed for my group leader last week during our fellowship. We voiced a lot of the same things I see here. Maybe it will get back to corporate.

6. Dianne Shafer says:

I, too, have just about had it with “how does it comfort you/encourage you/” filler questions. I am so grateful that you are doing all this work, because reading your summaries is very helpful. I am deeply disappointed with this surface look at a book that patently is very deep

7. SDA says:

I, too, was surprised with the lessons. However, our TL is doing a wonderful job of going deeper in the text after the group discussions. Be prayerful for the TLs that they would be discerning of God’s voice/guidance as they prepare each lecture and to be open to what He would have them share with each class every week.

8. Rhett says:

Is there any way to get feedback to BSF? Can you –because you have studied in depth–get your disappointment with specifics back to BSF so that as they revise Revelation for it’s next offering, it will be more robust?

I’m assuming if they want feedback, they know where to find me 🙂 They know this blog exists. Whether they read it, I don’t know. That’s all I can do.

9. I just want to thank you for your blog. It is the reason that I have stuck with BSF this year. The study has been disappointing since it barely scratches the surface. I was expecting a challenging and in-depth study. Thank you for keeping me going!!!

• Sheila says:

I found your blog last year and used it some in the study of Moses. And I have no idea what I would’ve done without it this year for Revelation!! This is the first time I have ever left a post but I completely echo what the responses have been especially what Kathy Hunt said. Thank you for all your tireless study to help me see insights that BSF has miserably failed to bring forth. I did BSF many years ago and loved it! When my daughter delivered my first grandchild and was going to get to stay home I got her in it when he was a year old. He is almost 4 and LOVES coming to class and that is one of my biggest motivators in sticking with it this year. Thank you again for your wisdom and insight —I GREATLY Appreciated it 🙂

10. Bridget says:

I’ve been in bsf for 9 years. I had really wanted to do Romans, but I think I’m going to be done after this year. I’ve done John at least once with bsf. This year I’ve really struggled with getting anything out of the study all year. I’m ready for summer! Your comments confirm my feelings that bsf has been changing. 😦

11. Deb says:

It’s great that you all are up the ladder on faith and Bible knowledge. Please be mindful that everyone is one a different level. We may think that the questions are repetitive, but that’s how people learn, through repetition. New people are starting the lessons everyday and these truths may be new to them. BSF is sharing the gospel across the world and that should be celebrated!

12. Kimber Martin says:

I too have struggled with the lesson this year. I am so tired of how do I feel and how does it strengthen my faith…I understand the need to read and execute but do think we it could have been insightful at times. I have enjoyed the notes for the most part.

I normally sit down and ask the Lord what he wants to me see and find myself going to other places in the bible NOT listed on the lesson. Shh…do not tell anyone, that is a no no it seems. I will say it has been very helpful in making this study more enjoyable. 🙂

I think BSF struggled with Revelation or it would not have taken so long to release. I do believe I have glean something each week to really think about it (especially on the weeks the lesson where so short in scripture and we read it over and over). I did remind myself several times there are thousands of people who are taking this lesson and all are at different places in their walk.

I will say that if you want an in-depth study, Perry Stone has a dvd study that will give you information overload!

Keep hope alive fellow BSF students, John maybe amazing. Pray it through and see what God wants for you next session.

Thanks for blogging and sharing your heart!

• Rhett says:

I think the BSF thing is to study first for yourself and then go to other references. Rather than have others shape your thoughts, allow your primary study and the influence of scripture to primary.

13. Becky says:

I just want to say thank you for doing this blog. I don’t know what I would do without it! Also, I have to say a huge thank you for your honesty! This is my third year doing BSF. It has been okay for me. I was considering stopping until I learned they were doing the Revelation study. In our particular area, the BSF group is large. Last year, they put a stipulation on us that we would have to attend at least 70% of the meetings to guarantee our spot for the Revelation study. I found this to be quite stressful since there are already some days that would be missed because of my children’s school schedule and of course there will be days when your children are sick and you will have to miss. I calculated how many days I could miss and still qualify and it didn’t leave much with days off and possibilities of missing for sick children. I attended a few times myself when I was downright miserable and wanted to stay home, but I really wanted to do the Revelation study so I came. I put all of this out here to say that I was really looking forward to doing it and came even when I didn’t feel well. It has been a big disappointment to say the least. I dread the homework, I dread going every week. I dread all of the personal questions, which are way more than its been since Ive been doing it. To make matters worse, I am a quiet person. I enjoy listening to the wisdom of the women there. For the third year in a row, the group leader feels that they need to call on me, often! I don’t mind answering the regular questions so much. However, personal questions are just that, personal! I know they are not supposed to call on us, but they do. She normally does a thing like, okay the whole group can answer this one….or she just asks me what I had for that question. And yes, I am well aware that I can pass, I can say thats personal, I choose not to answer, etc. It makes me so uncomfortable!! I have prayed about this, I have talked to her and said I am just quiet, it does not seem to help. If you have not done your lesson, she will say well you can still answer some questions. I am the type of person who needs to feel prepared, I don’t think well put on the spot.
    Thank you to all that have commented for your honesty also. I have just had this on my heart for months and was really thinking that I was the only one who was not enjoying this study and who struggles with the personal questions. I have decided that I am not returning next year. I will stay in prayer about a bible study that fits my needs better. I do hope that BSF will be open to feedback and will go back to the way they were doing things. Thank you for reading!

Ahhh, sorry to hear that, Becky. I hate being called on as well especially since I answer a lot of our questions. We had a substitute last week and she called on me and I just said I didn’t get anything for that one (it was a personal question).

Unfortunately, the BSF leaders who have been here a while still call on people and because none of the questions are marked personal anymore (all seem to be anyways), they feel like they can call on people.

Good luck with the bible study right for you and I will be praying. Take care and God bless!