Bible study can be daunting, especially if you’re a new Christian. However, studying the Bible is challenging for everyone, mainly because it points out point blank how we all deserve death, we’re all sinners, and we all need God. In this blog post, I’ll offer up tips on how to go deeper in the Bible. Contact me today with any questions!
5 WAYS TO GO DEEPER IN THE BIBLE
- View the Bible as a whole story. Many people make the mistake of tackling the Bible in pieces, reading stories here and there, and never putting it all together. Furthermore, many make the mistake of thinking the Old Testament is a completely separate part of the Bible and is completely opposite of the New Testament. However, the Bible is God’s story meant to be taken as a whole with an overarching theme — that of Jesus as Savior. Once you understand this basic fact, you’ll read the Bible in a whole new light.
- Understanding the genre of the books of the Bible. In your Bible study plans, it’s helpful to know what genre each book of the Bible falls into. This is important because not every sentence of the Bible is meant to teach you. Some are prayers to pray to God. Some are just part of a theme you can apply to your life. Understanding which books of the Bible are instructional versus narrative for example will help you to go deeper in God’s Word.
- Find God’s overarching truths. There are overarching truth’s in God’s word, such as Jesus is Savior, God is good, we are saved by God’s grace, and all believers go to heaven and await Jesus’ second coming. These principles tie God’s word together so you can go deeper in the Bible.
- Pray. When you ask God for help, He answers. Ask Him every time you sit down to read the Bible for a deeper understanding of His Word. He will answer.
- Don’t rush. Reading the Bible is not homework with a timeline to finish. You need to take your time to digest and ponder God’s word, and if you have to re-read a passage many times until you get it, do so.
These are just a few of some of my favorite tips to go deeper in God’s word. Stay tuned to AtoZMomm’s blog for part two to this series of how to go deeper in God’s word. Contact me to learn more!