Sibling rivalry has been with us since the beginning of time. Cain and Abel are not the only siblings to have a rivalry (although it appears the rivalry was mainly on Cain’s part). We will soon see Ishmael and Isaac, Jacob and Esau, and Joseph and all of his brothers.
Chapter 4 of the book of Genesis has many firsts:
- The first birth of a human
- The first death of a human (murder of Abel)
- The first worship
- The first division of labor
- The first cities
- The first extended families
- The first progress of humanity
When you wonder why you do the things you do, mankind has been doing them since the very beginning of time. The only cure is God.