sUMMARY OF Genesis 10
Genealogy of Shem, Ham, and Japheth (Noah’s sons).
The sons of Japheth were maritime peoples and spread out with their own language.
Cush was the son of Ham who was the father of Nimrod who grew to be a mighty warrior and hunter on earth. The first centers of his kingdom were Babylon, Erech, Akkad, and Calneh in Shinar. Then Cush went to Assyria to build Ninevah, Rehoboth, Ir, Calah, and Resen.
Later, the Canaanites scattered, pushing out the borders from Sidon to Gaza and Lasha.
Shem’s ancestors lived in the eastern hill country from Mesha to Sephar.
BSF Study Questions Genesis: Lesson 7, Day 4: Genesis 10
10a) Personal Question. My answer: We’re seeing the nations as they spread out over the earth. Jonah was called to preach to Ninevah but ignored God instead and got swallowed by the whale. Babylon, of course, will enslave all of Israel. The Tower of Babel was supposed to have been erected in Babylon as well.
b) They are all interconnected.
11) A mighty hunter on earth before the Lord. He was power hunger. It is widely believed that Nimrod was the leader of those who built the Tower of Babel in the land of Shinar, although the Bible never outright says this. Nimrod’s kingdom included many cities, including Babel, Erech, Akkad, and Calneh.
12) Personal Question. My answer: Nothing.
Conclusions BSF Study Questions Genesis: Lesson 7, Day 4: Genesis 10
I got nothing here.
End Notes BSF STUDY QUESTIONS GENESIS: LESSON 7, DAY 4: GENESIS 10
- Japheth is believed to be the father of the Indo-European peoples, which is Western Europe to India.
- Gomer is believed to be the Germans, French, Spanish, and Celts.
- Mogog, Tubal, and Meshech is believed to be the Russians.
- Madai is the people of India, Iran and Iraq.
- Javan is believed to be the ancient Greeks.
- Gomer would be Mesopotamia.
- Togarmah would be Armenians.
- Sons of Javan are the ancient Greeks.
- Sons of Ham, Cush, and Mizraim come the Africans.
- Sons of Canaan would be the Lebanese.
- Sinites are believed to be the peoples of Asia.
- Shem is believed to be the people of Persia and Assyria, Armenians, and the Hebrews.
- Job is from Uz.
Like most lists of names and genealogies in the Bible, it is used to chronicle the line of Jesus and collaborate God’s words to man (who always seems to need evidence). Also, it explains how the world was re-populated after the flood and who and how founded the nations of the earth.
Fun fact: Nimrod’s name means “let us rebel.”
Fun fact: This is the first use of the word “kingdom” in the bible.
Map of Table of Nations Here
Good map of Fertile Crescent, showing Nimrod’s kingdom here