Summary Genesis 40:9-23:
The cupbearer said in his dream he saw three branches on a vine. It budded, blossomed and ripened into grapes. Then he squeezed the three grapes into Pharaoh’s cup and gave it to him. Joseph told him that he would only be in jail for three days and then he will be restored to his position as chief cupbearer to Pharaoh and continue to put Pharaoh’s cup in Joseph’s hand. Joseph then asks the cupbearer to remember him with Pharaoh to help get him out of this prison since he is an innocent man.
The baker tells his dream to Joseph, saying he dreamed he had three baskets of bread on his head. The top basket has all kinds of baked goods for Pharaoh, but the birds were eating the goods. Joseph tells that baker that in three days Pharaoh will behead the baker and hang him on a tree. The birds will eat his flesh.
Both dreams came to pass. The chief cupbearer was restored in three days, which was Pharaoh’s birthday, and the baker was hung. However, the cupbearer did not remember Joseph.
BSF Study Questions Genesis: Lesson 24, Day 5: Genesis 40:9-23
13) Joseph was honest in his assessment. He could have lied to the baker and said he would live, but he did not.
14) To remember him and mention him to Pharaoh so that he could go free since he has been wrongly imprisoned.
15) The cupbearer was restored his position. The baker was hung. Joseph was forgotten and stayed in jail.
16) Joseph still was in charge so he found comfort in his work. He knew God was with him. God has given him the correct interpretation of the dreams. He was still alive.
17) Taking it day-by-day. You get up and do all that you can do to keep going. You pray; you hope; you pray some more. That’s really all you can do.
Conclusions BSF Study Questions Genesis: Lesson 24, Day 5: Genesis 40:9-23
So many time those who have helped others are forgotten when someone reaches success. Remember it’s not about glory here on earth; it’s about the glory in heaven you will receive for doing your good deeds. God remembers; that’s all that really matters.
End Notes BSF Study Questions Genesis: Lesson 24, Day 5: Genesis 40:9-23
God uses pictures that makes sense to the two men. Wine is made from grapes, which the chief cupbearer dealt in wine all the time.
Note that these are not far off dreams; both will happen in three days. This allows God to give Joseph immediate credibility.
Note how Joseph is working for his release. This shows us we have to take action, too, in what we want. God will help, but we must be active participants.
Joseph delivers the bad news along with the good news. How many of us want to know this as well and need to hear it? The message of judgment is just as important as the message of redemption.
We an assume that the baker was guilty of what he was accused of, while the cupbearer was not.
For Jesus, even a message of death can mean good news if you have accepted him as your Savior. Going to heaven is good news, indeed.
It was not Joseph’s time yet. He still must linger in prison. Preparation for greatness takes years to be molded. Having the patience is allow God to do His work is key.