Summary of Genesis 1:26-31:
God made man in His image to rule over all of His creation on the earth. He created male and female and blessed them to be fruitful and multiple. He gave them every seed-bearing plant and every tree with fruit with seed for food. God gave every green plant to everything else that has life in it. This was the sixth day, and God saw that it was very good. Thus, heaven and earth were complete.
BSF Study Questions Genesis: Lesson 2, Day 2: Genesis 1:26-31
3) Humanity rules over everything in creation, and humanity is made in the image of God.
4) Created how God is, although our image has been distorted by the Fall and sin. Being in the image of God is what makes us human and redeemable. Thus, even as sinners, we bear God’s image. We are in some sense like God. For an AMAZING discourse on this, click HERE
5) Part personal Question. My answer: Man is to rule over everything in creation, and God provides them with food. He exercises dominion by having children to continue to care for the earth. My job as a parent is to help my children understand their role in the universe. While I believe we all have additional purposes God has given us, we can’t forget about the original purpose of caring for the earth.
6) God made man in His image to rule over all of His creation on the earth. He gave them every seed-bearing plant and every tree with fruit with seed for food. It is our responsibility to ensure the earth stays healthy and that everything in creation is provided for.
Conclusions BSF Study Questions Genesis: Lesson 2, Day 2: Genesis 1:26-31
Not until the Fall did God give man animals to eat (Genesis 9:3).
In 2012, BSF focused on how this passage reveals that God gives man everything he needs to survive and sent us to Psalms and Acts that reminded us that we are wonderful and that we belong here. That’s what I miss most about the old BSF with the new is the cross passages we were sent to look up within the questions. For me, this showed me the connections the Bible has and how God’s story is all intertwined with life. I feel this is a shame BSF does not do that now and that we are truly missing out and not learning as much because of it.
With the predominance of personal questions, I’m afraid this is gone by the wayside. A travesty, indeed.
End Notes BSF Study Questions Genesis: Lesson 2, Day 2: Genesis 1:26-31
Again, we see God as the Triune God since the plural is used here (we).
Man is made in God’s image. This means:
- The resurrection is possible
- We are above angels since they are not made in the image of God
- We are distinct in moral and intelletual capabilities
- All human life matters
This does not mean God has a physical body.
Evolution has no Biblical backup when Adam was created fully-formed.
Man was created separate from female, meaning God meant there to be differences between us.
Note that the first thing God did was bless us. Remember that in the midst of your heartaches and struggles; you are blessed!
Man’s purpose is to exercise dominion over the earth. He can only do this if he is fruitful and multiplies. Yet, the primary purpose of sex is bonding, not procreation. This is a huge difference between man and animals who only have sex for reproduction.
Note that before the flood, man was vegetarian. After the flood, animals were allowed to be eaten (Genesis 9:3).